ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will my spouse be eligible for British citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

talkhome
United Kingdom

Will my spouse be eligible for British citizenship

Post by talkhome » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:45 pm

Hi everyone.

Just to clarify if my wife gets her ilr of 10 years long residency basis. Will she be eligible for citizenship next day?

She is currently on Flr M 5 years route. I will be British on the day she will qualify for ilr.

tiredoftiers

Re: Will my spouse be eligible for British citizenship

Post by tiredoftiers » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:02 am

(my interpretation to the guidance and relevant law) she, doubtlessly, being spouse of British citizen provided you were (you said you will be) and a list of requirements being met at the same time for her AN application to be approved

lets other people have their say on this

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:46 am

If you have attended your ceremony and have your certificate, then yes, if her ILR is approved, she can apply for BC immediately. Suggest wait to receive ILR BRP Card as this needs to be submitted.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:09 am

Are you sure your wife qualifies for SET(LR)? She was only issued with FLR(M) 5 year route first extension earlier this month. :?

And in June you were applying for your own ILR under long residence....so how do you know you will be a British citizen on the day your wife qualifies for ILR? :?:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... l#p1367919
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

talkhome
United Kingdom

Post by talkhome » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:20 am

Casa wrote:Are you sure your wife qualifies for SET(LR)? She was only issued with FLR(M) 5 year route first extension earlier this month. :?

And in June you were applying for your own ILR under long residence....so how do you know you will be a British citizen on the day your wife qualifies for ILR? :?:

Dear Casa,

Yes I am sure she will qualify next year as she will complete her 10 years. She was my dependent for almost 9 years now on different visas.

And yes I am pretty sure I will get British citizenship before the end of next year. I am currently spending 12 months after ilr that will complete mid next year.

So question is suppose I am a British citizen on the day she goes to peo to apply under set lr and she gets ilr. Will she be able to apply British citizenship the next day.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:27 am

talkhome wrote:
Casa wrote:Are you sure your wife qualifies for SET(LR)? She was only issued with FLR(M) 5 year route first extension earlier this month. :?

Dear Casa,

Yes I am sure she will qualify next year as she will complete her 10 years. She was my dependent for almost 9 years now on different visas.

And yes I am pretty sure I will get British citizenship before the end of next year. I am currently spending 12 months after ilr that will complete mid next year. Bear in mind that if you submit your BC application on the day you qualify it could well take at least another 6 months for the approval and a further wait to attend your citizenship ceremony.

So question is suppose I am a British citizen on the day she goes to peo to apply under set lr and she gets ilr. Will she be able to apply British citizenship the next day. Yes, but as CR001 has already advised your wife should wait until she has received her BRP as she will need to submit this with her BC application.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:24 pm

Casa wrote: And yes I am pretty sure I will get British citizenship before the end of next year. I am currently spending 12 months after ilr that will complete mid next year.

So question is suppose I am a British citizen on the day she goes to peo to apply under set lr and she gets ilr. Will she be able to apply British citizenship the next day.
If your wife has received ILR on or after the day you have got your naturalisation certificate after attending the citizenship ceremony, then she can proceed to applying for citizenship the next day.

If your wife receives ILR before you get the naturalisation certificate, she can apply for citizenship either the day she completes one year of holding ILR or the day after you becoming a citizen, whichever one is earlier.

I hope that answers your question completely.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.