ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

time between Naturalisation and Passport application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

leonleo
Newly Registered

time between Naturalisation and Passport application

Post by leonleo » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:07 pm

hi all,
I have my naturalization application granted last week and received an invitation for the citizenship ceremony on 25 October 2016. But I have to go abroad. I have been informed once I attend the ceremony I'll have to apply for my passport which will/may take between 4 to 6 weeks. And I can't wait that long.

What would be my best option? All suggestions are welcome.

Many Thanks,
Leo

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: time between Naturalisation and Passport application

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:18 pm

How long are you going abroad for?

There is no 'quick' way to get a passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

leonleo
Newly Registered

Post by leonleo » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:35 pm

planning to go for 6 months or more.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:39 pm

Move your ceremony to earlier (private ceremony maybe) and apply for passport before travelling.

What is your nationality?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

leonleo
Newly Registered

Post by leonleo » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:59 pm

thought about getting the ceremony earlier but gathered from various people that once you apply for your passport it might take over a year to get it back. Although standard time is 6 weeks or so. so there is no certainity when you will get your passport back.

I am from Bangladesh.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:00 pm

Does your country allow dual citizenship?

If so, you can travel on the passport of your other country and apply for a British passport from overseas. Mind you, it will take longer overseas (posts on these forums suggest between 6 months and a year), but you can travel.

EDIT: Googling suggests that Bangladesh does allow dual citizenship with the UK, so you should be fine.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:17 pm

leonleo wrote:but gathered from various people that once you apply for your passport it might take over a year to get it back.
Really??? Which post would this be as I have not seen any of applications WITHIN the UK. Overseas passport applications, yes, they do take a long time.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

leonleo
Newly Registered

Post by leonleo » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:05 pm

what if I attend the ceremony and then applied for the passport from UK. I'll travel abroad with my ILR document.

BTW I know someone personally (not from this forum) who had to wait for a year without any issues. He applied from South west of England.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:11 pm

You have to return your ILR BRP card to HO within 5 days of your ceremony. ILR is void once you become BC.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

longhorn

Post by longhorn » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:41 pm

My wife recently applied for her first passport and received it within 3 weeks. I personally know many people who all received their passports within 3 to 6 weeks. Not really sure why you think it will take ages. Your friend's case is probably either an exception or he confused his passport application with naturalisation when he told you about his case.
CR001 wrote: There is no 'quick' way to get a passport.
Regarding CR001's comments that there's no quick way to get a passport, I don't think this information is accurate. One of my friend had to travel a couple of days after he received his citizenship certificate because of a family emergency. He was asked to provide the medical proof and attend in person at Liverpool office, his passport was issued on the same day however it's only valid for a year. He went abroad and came back to UK on this passport without any issues. Therefore there's a quick way but only when compassionate grounds apply.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:47 pm

longhorn wrote:Regarding CR001's comments that there's no quick way to get a passport, I don't think this information is accurate. One of my friend had to travel a couple of days after he received his citizenship certificate because of a family emergency. He was asked to provide the medical proof and attend in person at Liverpool office, his passport was issued on the same day however it's only valid for a year. He went abroad and came back to UK on this passport without any issues. Therefore there's a quick way but only when compassionate grounds apply.
These would be exceptional circumstances and not the norm and would be judged on a case by case situation.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

longhorn

Post by longhorn » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:51 pm

CR001 wrote:
longhorn wrote:Regarding CR001's comments that there's no quick way to get a passport, I don't think this information is accurate. One of my friend had to travel a couple of days after he received his citizenship certificate because of a family emergency. He was asked to provide the medical proof and attend in person at Liverpool office, his passport was issued on the same day however it's only valid for a year. He went abroad and came back to UK on this passport without any issues. Therefore there's a quick way but only when compassionate grounds apply.
These would be exceptional circumstances and not the norm and would be judged on a case by case situation.
I agree but the only reason why I said this is because you said "there's no quick way" and OP didn't mention why he needs to travel urgently. This may be an exceptional case so I thought its worth mentioning the story of my friend.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:38 pm

If you're in such a hurry why not pay for a private ceremony which will be a lot quicker?

If you apply for a British passport straight afterwards you should have your passport interview before your public citizenship ceremony would even have passed. You should certainly get your original passport back in about 2 weeks.

I did this because work will be too busy to take time off past mid October so I booked the ceremony for a few days after approval and applies for my passport the next day.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:14 pm

No matter how important, pressing, dynamic, exciting, valuble your life and personal affairs and travel plans are (to you) it will matter not one jot to a monolithic and faceless government ;
one that is run by faceless bureaucrats and who deal with faceless and practically anonymous members of the public.

When dealing with immigration and naturalisation matters if you fail to place almost all the rest of your life on hold then you plan to fail.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.