ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

unmarried partner first Or IGS first?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

twilight80
Newly Registered

unmarried partner first Or IGS first?

Post by twilight80 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:00 pm

my status -- student visa since 2003
registered for masters in pathology in sep 2006 -07 ..hence i am eligible for the IGS scheme

i have been living with my partner for last 3 years ,with all necessary documentation and photos etc to prove it..plus we have a beautiful lil boy who is 2 and half years old..both my partner and son are british and have british passports.

Dilema/confusion
we both are in part time jobs as we need to look after him im working the permitted 20 hours ,firstly with regards to tax credits do we need to declare our child tax credit when i apply as un married partner visa .

secondly as i am finishing my course in jan (student visa till april30th) is it better to apply for IGS first get a full time job and then apply for unmarried partner visa, and with new rules coming in 2008 im not sure what to do for the best.

thank you[/b]

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:25 pm

If you qualify for the UP visa you may as well apply for that now.

You must declare the tax credits, but this will not be a problem providing they are claimed in your partner's name.

Why not try to get a full time job offer in advance of making the application if you think this will improve your chances?

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

twilight80
Newly Registered

Post by twilight80 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:26 pm

thank you for your response Victoria...but there was an issue with child tax credit in the past...my gf assumed that cause we werent married and as i am subject to immigration ..she had to pur her down as single parent...(which was daft i know)...but the error is to be rectified in january 08 ...but i worry that this single mistake will jeopardise the whole application..you know what the BIA is like one negative sign is enough to destroy all the the positive aspects!

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:29 pm

What do you mean 'it is being rectified'? Is she paying the excess back?

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

twilight80
Newly Registered

Post by twilight80 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:37 pm

she has declared we are living together ...they havent got back to us yet with regards to the excess..cause both our incomes together dont make much difference to amount they pay out,,,,anything and everything under £15k would recieve around £2039 annually as tax credit