ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confused about applying for british citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sajgil5

Confused about applying for british citizenship

Post by sajgil5 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:00 pm

Hello

first of all apologies if this is too basic to answer, am going through several threads and am i right in understanding that to apply for british citizenship is a 2 part process ?

i have completed 15 on ILR now and want to apply for british citizenship for me and my dependent wife
so would i apply first for

step 1 : naturalisation ? which will give us certificate of citizenship

step 2: use the certificate to apply for british passport

any help would be appreciated

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Confused about applying for british citizenship

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:08 pm

step 1 : naturalisation ? which will give us certificate of citizenship
Almost correct. You apply, then wait. Once HO writes to you that you have been approved, you have to book and attend a ceremony first where you will get your certificate
step 2: use the certificate to apply for british passport
Correct.

You can also apply using the JCAP scheme at the NCS at your council. JCAP - Joint Citizenship and Passport application.

Does your wife have ILR?

You need LIUK and B1 English to apply for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sajgil5

Post by sajgil5 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:14 pm

Hi...

thanks a lot for your prompt response ...

Yes my wife has always been on my dependent visa since tier 1 genral (5 years) and another 15 months on ILR

so will that be okay i guess? all she needs is a similar form to apply ?

We had NARIC certificate for english and we took the LIFE in UK test for ILR so that should suffice ?

also do i need to show them any earning history etc for the ILR or period since tier 1 ? to qualify ?

-------
About JCAP

Do you mean we can apply both in 1 go ?

regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:22 pm

Suggest read through the form AN and guidance notes.

See also Citizenship FAQs (click)

Each person applying must meet the requirements individually. There is no 'dependent' type case for citizenship. She must meet all the requirements, including absence limits.

You also need to provide evidence of NI contributions. If you are or have been self employed, you might need more documents.
About JCAP

Do you mean we can apply both in 1 go ?
Yes, but ONLY if you apply through NCS (nationality checking service). You cannot apply for both at once if you post your own application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sajgil5

Post by sajgil5 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:29 pm

Hi...

Thanks for your previous response. so am applying next week through the ncs which is the local council office i guess

I have downloaded the AN form but theres nothing relating to the passport application, do i need to download a separate form ? also will the PP application only go in effect once citizenship has been approved ?

you mentioned about NI , am working as a director in my company since 2009 and have sa302s for previous years only .. do i need payslips etc for current year ?

also my wife works as an employee in the business what would she need

Regards
SG

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:48 pm

You pick up the passport form from the Post Office. You cannot 'download' it. Both forms get sent at the same time. You will only get a passport if your citizenship application is approved and once you have attended your ceremony.

Form AN asks for National Insurance information. Read the form and guidance notes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

sajgil5

Post by sajgil5 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:54 pm

Hi thanks for clarification abt british pp form...

about national insurance , you mean we just need to submit the nni no right

regards
SG

sajgil5

stay on ILR or BC

Post by sajgil5 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:19 pm

Hello all,

thanks for the community , which i have been reading since i was on tier 1

i have quick question , am an Indian citizen and applying for British citizenship would mean i have to let go my Indian cit as they dont allow dual cit.

i have spoken to few and then choose to remain on ILR ...

am trying to understand pros and cons in each case....

if anyone can shed some light would be great

Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:21 pm

ILR can be revoked if you are absent from the UK for 2 years.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:45 pm

Also, ILR is a purely domestic status and you will not be able to travel visa-free to those countries that allow British citizens either visa free or visa on arrival.
Similarly, you will not be able to take advantage of freedom of movement within the EU.

Any children born to you outside the UK will not be British citizens (through your relationship with them).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:46 pm

sajgil5 wrote:Hi thanks for clarification abt british pp form...

about national insurance , you mean we just need to submit the nni no right

regards
SG
Why do you think that is 'right'.
Re-read guidance, its quite comprehensive.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

sajgil5

Post by sajgil5 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:40 pm

Hello all

Thanks for previous responses , we have decided to go ahead with the application as it can only be better then not applying :-)

Am slightly stuck with few areas on the form though

in section 1 its asking to fill in partner details however i thought we were suppose to fill a completely new form as my wife would be applying as a individual now being on ILR ?

also about employment its asking for 10 years history , how accurate does that have to be as being honest i dont remember the first 5 years of it...

any suggestion will be appreciated

Regards
TS

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:49 pm

sajgil5 wrote:in section 1 its asking to fill in partner details however i thought we were suppose to fill a completely new form as my wife would be applying as a individual now being on ILR ? Yes, you need separate forms for each of you but need to complete the partner details as you are married.

also about employment its asking for 10 years history , how accurate does that have to be as being honest i dont remember the first 5 years of it...It should be fairly accurate, month/year should be fine.

any suggestion will be appreciated

Regards
TS
Char (CR001 not Casa)

sajgil5

Post by sajgil5 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:53 pm

Hi...

thanks a looooot once again for prompt response....

is the 10 year required even for ILR a bit strange that we got to remember to put details going 10 years back... lol

sajgil5

Post by sajgil5 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:26 pm

Hi ,

apologies i posted this comment in wrong forum

Once you receive biometric request letter how long does is the letter valid for ?

Also on my previous question i am struggling to find my start finish dates for the first 5 years , can hmrc provide that with my ni number ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:51 am

sajgil5 wrote:Hi ,

apologies i posted this comment in wrong forum

Once you receive biometric request letter how long does is the letter valid for ? 15 days

Also on my previous question i am struggling to find my start finish dates for the first 5 years , can hmrc provide that with my ni number ? Should be possible.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

sajgil5

naturalisation and sons British passport

Post by sajgil5 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:10 pm

Hello all

trying to get some opinion. me and my wife have been on ILR for pass 1.5 years and we have a son born just a year ago... i want to know if i should apply for brit cit at this stage

Mine : have 3 or 4 parking fines in last 6 months all paid in time
wife : no such issue

Son is born here when we had ILR so does he just apply fr passport straight away or does he need to apply for naturalisation ?

also we are from india originally , so once we get brit passport do you know hw long it takes to get indias visit visa for all 3 ?

Tea_Rocket
United States of America

Re: naturalisation and sons British passport

Post by Tea_Rocket » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:43 pm

sajgil5 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:10 pm
Hello all

trying to get some opinion. me and my wife have been on ILR for pass 1.5 years and we have a son born just a year ago... i want to know if i should apply for brit cit at this stage

Mine : have 3 or 4 parking fines in last 6 months all paid in time
wife : no such issue
The parking fines are not going to be a problem for your fulfilling the good character requirement. Assuming you meet the other requirements, like the ones about being physically present in the UK and not having any immigration breaches in the last 10 years, both you and your wife can apply to naturalise.
sajgil5 wrote:
Son is born here when we had ILR so does he just apply fr passport straight away or does he need to apply for naturalisation ?
Your son is already a British citizen, so he can apply for a passport straight away. Incidentally, you might want to get official copies of your and your wife's biometric residence permits at some point before your naturalisation ceremony (you are required to return your BRPs within five days of doing the citizenship ceremony). That way, if at any point in the future, the passport office or any other government agency question your son's citizenship, you'll have proof of your immigration statuses at the time of his birth.
sajgil5 wrote:
also we are from india originally , so once we get brit passport do you know hw long it takes to get indias visit visa for all 3 ?
No idea, I'm afraid.

sajgil5

Post by sajgil5 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:17 am

Hey buddy

thanks for your response....

so my son can apply right away for passport ? would i need to send my BRP for his pp application ?

also one more question is someone told me when i apply for naturalisation i can still travel on my indian passport while its being processed is that true ?

Regards

Tea_Rocket
United States of America

Post by Tea_Rocket » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:19 am

sajgil5 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:17 am
so my son can apply right away for passport ? would i need to send my BRP for his pp application ?
Yes to both. You'd need to send your passport, BRP, and his birth certificate, plus whatever other documents the passport guidance says you need to send. You might also consider using the Post Office Check and Send service to double-check that you're sending what's needed.
sajgil5 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:17 am
also one more question is someone told me when i apply for naturalisation i can still travel on my indian passport while its being processed is that true ?
It is only if you use a Nationality Checking Service (NCS), which is run through your local council. For a fee of about £85, someone will look over your application to make sure it's filled in correctly, and they will make official photocopies of your supporting documents to send with your application (except for the Life in the UK test pass letter—the original gets sent with the application regardless of whether or not you use an NCS). This means that you can keep your passport and BRP and travel while your application is under consideration. Many councils also allow you to do a Joint Citizenship and Passport (JCAP) application, which means that you apply for your UK passport along with naturalisation. If your naturalisation is approved, you get your UK passport automatically after attending your citizenship ceremony.

Some caveats: using an NCS does not guarantee that your application will be approved, nor does it speed up the processing time. Furthermore, the Home Office may get in touch and ask you to send the original documents anyway (though this is rare).

You will also need to submit your biometrics after you send in your application. Normally, people get the letter requesting this between 1-3 weeks after their application is received by the Home Office. You only have 15 working days from the date on the letter to submit your biometrics, so it's generally not a good idea to take a long trip during the first month after you've submitted your application.

sajgil5

Post by sajgil5 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:23 pm

Hey

thanks for the answers clears lot of question. i have one query though.. do i have to send my originals for my sons british passport (brp and passport) ?

thx

Tea_Rocket
United States of America

Post by Tea_Rocket » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:07 am

sajgil5 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:23 pm
do i have to send my originals for my sons british passport (brp and passport) ?
Yes, but the Passport Office's turnaround time is a maximum of six weeks. For what it's worth, my passport arrived exactly one week after I applied (I'm still waiting for my original documents to be returned—I paid extra for secure delivery). I don't know if it will be as fast for a young child's passport.

sajgil5

NCS/NDRS

Post by sajgil5 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:59 pm

Hey guys

as per prev post ncs is replaced by new service but i cant see any such option on my council website

is it selected places only ?

regards

plabo
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Re: NCS/NDRS

Post by plabo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:50 am

Yes same service but much better as online application first has to be submitted and then take a NDRS appointment...get biometric letter online too..

Many councils have not updated their website like mine and its worth giving them a call and asking

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:49 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.