ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling to India after getting British Passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

zizzkid
Newly Registered

Travelling to India after getting British Passport

Post by zizzkid » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:08 am

I received British passport in July 2016. Can I travel to india by getting E-Visa before surrendering my Indian passport ? I wouldnt be using my old indian passport for travel. I tried to find this info from visa website but no luck ..please help.

rmukherjee
United Kingdom

Re: Travelling to India after getting British Passport

Post by rmukherjee » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:47 pm

I don't believe it's possible because

1) Indian government policy is that all citizens who get other nationality should surrender their Indian passports.

2) If you apply for a visa the normal way they do check for a surrender certificate, especially if your were born in India.

3) I don't know if the TVOA aka e-Visa system will do a similar check or not, but it does appear to be risky. There is a chance that even if the system allows it, the immigration officer at the airport can raise objections (your place of birth will be recorded on your new passport, and it's pretty easy for them to find out that you still hold an Indian passport).

Strong advice - do not do this. Surrendering a passport takes very little time. Do it and you'll get the certificate within 2-3 days usually, a week max. Then apply for the e-Visa.