ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 fees: General or Shortage occupation? Up to 3 years?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bsc2007
India

Tier 2 fees: General or Shortage occupation? Up to 3 years?

Post by bsc2007 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:51 pm

Hi wonderful people.

I got my 1st Tier 2 visa on SOC 2136 on 14-Jan-14 and it expires on 14-Oct-2016. I am going to apply for a Tier 2 extension in a week or two.

Two questions:

1. Do I pay fees for 'Tier 2 General' or 'Tier 2 General - shortage occupation?'
My biometric card says Tier 2 (General), but I am 100% sure that the SOC code was used.

2. Do I pay fees for 'up to 3 years' or 'more than 3 years'?
I am asking this as my total stay on Tier 2 will be going beyond 3 years.

Many thanks,
B

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: Tier 2 fees: General or Shortage occupation? Up to 3 yea

Post by iworker » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:18 pm

1. its not just the soc code.. u need to work in certain industries of that soc code to qualify for shortage occupation. Also your employer decides whether its on SOL or not.
2. this depends on your new cos. which should be for 3 years or less. hence u will pay for 3 years and less. the fee is determined to what leave u are applying for.. not the entire duration u have been in the country,

bsc2007
India

Post by bsc2007 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:02 pm

Thanks iworker!

My new CoS will be from 1st October 2016 to 31st December 2018. Thanks for confirming that a duration of 2.25 years means that I will have to pay for 3 years or less.

I am still not clear on the shortage occupation part though. I work for a reputed university. My job is to program software for research purposes. My Tier 2 visa was granted on SOC 2136 (Analyst Programmer - well my new title is "Senior" Analyst Programmer). As SOC 2136 is in the Shortage Occupation List - I think I should pay the shortage occupation fees. How to determine if my employer falls under 'certain industries'? I can say though that the 'analysis' part of my job is quite a niche (cancer research).

Can you explain further please?

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by iworker » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:31 pm

Not the whole of 2136 is on SOL.
there are only so many jobs within 2136 that are on SOL.. yours is not.
You will have to pay full fee.

See link below and see the industries within which the 2136 people work are classed as SOL. i.e. computer animation and gaming industry and electronic system industry.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... l_2015.pdf

bsc2007
India

Post by bsc2007 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:16 pm

Hi iworker,

Despite your clear information - I have managed to mess up my application.

I have completed my online application today morning and paid the fees - but the incorrect one!

At the end of the application the system asked me to pay £437 pp instead of £575 pp. This may be because I answered Yes to 'Is your job with company xyz in a shortage occupation?'. Do you know what should I do now? The application answers were locked long before.

Will the UKVI reject my application, or contact me for paying the remaining amount - when and if they identify the mistake. Is there anything I can do about it now? Or should I wait and see?

Many thanks,
B

bsc2007
India

Post by bsc2007 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:21 pm

The attached information was populated by the system - and was read only. I thought this was because they have fetched information from my previous application or CoS. I am not sure now.

The visa type says Tier 2 (General) Shortage Occupation..

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:39 pm

bsc2007 wrote:The attached information was populated by the system - and was read only. I thought this was because they have fetched information from my previous application or CoS. I am not sure now.

The visa type says Tier 2 (General) Shortage Occupation..
I have deleted your uploaded screenshot. Please do not post screenshots containing your personal details. You must blank personal details out first. There are many scammers and spammers visiting the forum.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bsc2007
India

Post by bsc2007 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:49 pm

I dont know why I am not myself when I am dealing with this visa stuff. Not that anything bad has happened with visa before - but I commit so many blunders. This doesnt happen to me often. Sorry about posting the personal details. God save me!

Should I wait and see what happens regarding the incorrect fees - or should I somehow try to contact UKVI? I dont want to lose the £1311 which I have paid. I am yet to send the documents by post (which I will do tomorrow or Saturday).

Kind regards,
B

naval1234
Mood:
India

Post by naval1234 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:43 pm

Something similar happened to one of my colleagues. He had paid lesser fee and UKVI sent him a letter asking to pay the remainder. The letter states how and which ways you can pay. He payed by debit card.

bsc2007
India

Post by bsc2007 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:15 am

naval1234 wrote:Something similar happened to one of my colleagues. He had paid lesser fee and UKVI sent him a letter asking to pay the remainder. The letter states how and which ways you can pay. He payed by debit card.
Thank you! I think that is what will happen in my case too.. My HR said they will contact UKVI. I am yet to hear back from them.

Many thanks,
B