ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application for child born in UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Kaba

Application for child born in UK

Post by Kaba » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:19 am

Hi guys,

Thanks again in advance for all your help :)

I was going obviously through the Home Office's, Passport Office's website and guidelines, but I couldn't find a concrete answer to my question.

The fact is that if a child is born in the UK and at least one of the parents does hold a permanent residence certificate (EEA) before the birth, the kind is a British Citizen. My question though comes to when it comes to actually applying for the baby's first passport.

Does the application have to be made only by post as stated here or is the post office also an option? It doesn't say anything about people holding a permanent residence certificate before the baby's birth. The government's guidance though says that a permanent residence certificate is enough to consider a baby a British Citizen. So I am confused which way to follow for the application.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... idance.pdf
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... Policy.pdf

If this is the case, is the permanent residence certificate enough to show that the parent was exercising treaty rights? The reason why I am asking is because I did read older posts, where people were saying that the Post Office wasn't satisfied just with the permanent residence certificate.

Do you know guys have maybe any idea how long it does take to get a passport for the baby under these circumstances?

Thanks again for all the helpful advice

vinny

Re: Application for child born in UK

Post by vinny » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:32 pm

If the child was born in the UK when a parent has PR, then child is automatically British.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:35 pm

If this is the case, is the permanent residence certificate enough to show that the parent was exercising treaty rights?
Yes, if the DCPR/PR card was issued before the child's birth it's enough to prove you are settled and that your UK born child is British by birth under Section 1(1)b of the BNA. Check and send staff are poorly trained and don't have a clue unless it's a completely standard application - just insist that the DCPR is enough or, even better, dont use Check and Send in the first place and just send the application by post.

The PP form isn't really designed for treaty rights applications as well, so just explain in a cover letter/the additional info section how your child is entitled to a British passport.

Not sure how long it will take to get the passport, just know that you can't use the 1 week fast track if it's a treaty right PP application.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Kaba

Post by Kaba » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:57 pm

Thanks guys,

I will definitely send it by post and write a cover letter then.

I hope though that it will not so long as my naturalisation application!! :)

Thanks

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:07 pm

Haha Im sure it won't be - don't passports take between 4-6 weeks max?!
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Kaba

Post by Kaba » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:38 pm

Hi there,

4-6 weeks sounds reasonable, but since the referendum things are taking more and more time! Let's see!! :)