ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When should I start searching for job ?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hsmp2008
Newly Registered

When should I start searching for job ?

Post by hsmp2008 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:16 pm

Hello Everybody:

Yesterday I couriered my HSMP application for initial approval. My case is pretty straight-forward so I hope to get the approval in a month's time.

However, I'm not clear how job-market works in UK. Following are the queries:

When should I start searching for job ? NOW (I dont have the approval yet) ? Once I get the approval but before EC ? or after EC ?

I've decided to not land in UK without a job offer. I'm a risk-taker to some extent but the very idea of staying jobless in an expensive economy like that of UK with a family is unnerving. I can easily accumulate a bank balance to 3000 GBP before EC. However, I would like to get a job while I am in India.

Considering my low risk-appetite, I understand its better to start job-hunting as early as possible. Can I search for jobs NOW and mention in the cover letter that I've already applied for HSMP and waiting for the approval ?

How many months I have to search for job ? Assuming I get the approval on January 15th, 2008; I will have 6 months to apply for EC (till July 15th) and after that I will have 3 more months to enter UK (till October 15th).
So, that leaves only 9 months for me to search UK jobs while in India ? What if I get a UK job in December 2008 ? Can I enter UK after that ?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
HSMP2008

netacct

Post by netacct » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:36 pm

Short answer is, getting a job without being in UK is very very very rare unless your skills are are. If fact, even if you are in UK getting a job is not that easy. No one can precisely say how long it takes to get a job in UK.
I tried for 3 months, still haven't got any decent offer. Some people got decent offer in just few weeks. IT job market is very very very different here as compare to India.

touchsensor

Getting a job

Post by touchsensor » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:41 pm

I concur. Most employer seek for local experience. I won't say that it is extremely difficult to get a job but it might take a while.

Good luck!

P

marupa

Post by marupa » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:45 pm

Hi hsmp2008,
Finding a job from outside of the UK is very difficult. I was searching for a suitable job in all websites that was mentioned and had called several consultants and resourcing agencies ( which costed me quiet a bit of money) but all in vain.

I had got just a few interview lined up , after spending lots of time and money. Most of the job sites pose the question "Are you eligible to work in the UK". Which is very difficult to answer, if you say yes and during the interview or email exchanges the employer comes to know, that you are not actually eligible and waiting for approvals. A sense of mistrust builds, and UK employers take these things seriously. But if you answer NO to the question of eligibilty, your resume is straight away filtered and the employer might not a get a chance to view the resume.

I would suggest to go through known sources, if your friends or collegues are already working there and they have openings in your field, you could ask them to explain the situation and line up some interviews. Or you could find out if your own company has openings in UK and they are willing to place you there (This worked for me). Also I have known some friends , who has gone there on HSMP and then started their job hunt, for some it has taken just about couple of weeks while for some it took about 3 months to land in a job. So it really depends on your profile, oppurtunities, market, field etc!!

Happy job hunting!

marupa

gsurendra

Post by gsurendra » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:51 am

Hi HSMP2008,

You mentioned that you will have 3 months to enter UK ie. Oct 08. Are you sure? Visa is normally given for 2 years, that gives you full 2 years to enter UK.

Am I right?

bilalofned

Re: When should I start searching for job ?

Post by bilalofned » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:29 pm

Answer to Q1

Without having EC you can not declare yourself Eligible enough to apply. It would be better to start searching after EC as it will make you more acceptable for employer without any doubt.

Answer to Q2

You must start searching right after your EC secondly, virtually there is no restiction to enter UK well within stamped period but you have to keep in mind the enough time to prove you as good qualifier for FLR.

hsmp2008 wrote:Hello Everybody:

Yesterday I couriered my HSMP application for initial approval. My case is pretty straight-forward so I hope to get the approval in a month's time.

However, I'm not clear how job-market works in UK. Following are the queries:

When should I start searching for job ? NOW (I dont have the approval yet) ? Once I get the approval but before EC ? or after EC ?

I've decided to not land in UK without a job offer. I'm a risk-taker to some extent but the very idea of staying jobless in an expensive economy like that of UK with a family is unnerving. I can easily accumulate a bank balance to 3000 GBP before EC. However, I would like to get a job while I am in India.

Considering my low risk-appetite, I understand its better to start job-hunting as early as possible. Can I search for jobs NOW and mention in the cover letter that I've already applied for HSMP and waiting for the approval ?

How many months I have to search for job ? Assuming I get the approval on January 15th, 2008; I will have 6 months to apply for EC (till July 15th) and after that I will have 3 more months to enter UK (till October 15th).
So, that leaves only 9 months for me to search UK jobs while in India ? What if I get a UK job in December 2008 ? Can I enter UK after that ?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
HSMP2008