ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship application - A Few Questions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jamEnergy
Newly Registered

Citizenship application - A Few Questions

Post by jamEnergy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:22 pm

Trying to apply for citizenship, but I'm stuck... I don't have my P60s from the last 10 years lol.

I've worked for a single employer over the last 6 years - what exactly should I ask them to write? The guide says confirm start/end date, but what does that have to do with NI?

And why is this 10 years? Shouldn't it be 5 years?

---------------------------
"1.48- 1.50 You must provide details of all your National Insurance contributions made
for your current and previous employment during the past 10 years. To support this
claim evidence can be in the form of payslips, P60s covering the relevant period, or a
letter(s) from the employer(s) confirming you have worked for them, from the start
and finish date. "

from

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... e_2016.pdf

LilyLalilu

Re: Citizenship application - evidence of 10 years of NI?

Post by LilyLalilu » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:37 pm

I think it has to do with the good character requirements, to check that applicants have not been working illegally within the last 10 years (which would then lead to a refusal of their application).
10 years if you been in the UK for that long or if not since your arrival in the UK.
Ask HMRC for an work history/NI contribution list if you cannot find your P60s.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:38 pm

The 10-year requirement is specific to BC application so there's little we can do about it....

The reason why you can supply employers' letters is that by confirming they employed you for the period in question they have also confirmed compliance with employment regulation, including deducting tax and NI and paying over same to HMRC. So in your case get as many letters from the companies you worked for. The letters should be like a "reference" showing your name, job dates from-to as a minimum. Larger companies shouldn't have a problem with this and be able to provide quickly.

If you still have gaps and there are no other documents available then explain why, give as many details as you can. Remember on the form you also provide your NI number and the tax office reference.

In my case it was easy as I have been with my company well in excess of 10 years so only one letter was required, didn't include P60s.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

jamEnergy
Newly Registered

Post by jamEnergy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:29 pm

Thank you so much for your helpful and timely responses.

This 6 year job is my only serious job.

I did 2 other bits of work in retail when I was a teenager... but that does fall within 10 years. Do you think it's important for me to contact them? I think I worked with each company for a month or two at most...

Perhaps I should ask HMRC for a log of NI contributions dating back 10 years as suggested? Is that a thing that they would really print out for me?

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:02 pm

Yes, very easy to obtain. You can request one online (https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/shortforms/form/NIStatement) and it usually comes through within a few weeks.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

jamEnergy
Newly Registered

Need 5 years proof of residency: passport only 3 years old

Post by jamEnergy » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:03 am

I've been here for ages, but I can't seem to find my old passport.

The guides suggest that a letter from my current employer would do.

What exactly should it say? Does anyone have a sample/template?

Does this actually work?

thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Need 5 years proof of residency: passport only 3 years o

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:01 pm

jamEnergy wrote:I've been here for ages, but I can't seem to find my old passport.

The guides suggest that a letter from my current employer would do.

What exactly should it say? Does anyone have a sample/template?

Does this actually work?

thanks
I am happy to share my employer letter which I submitted to cover employment record for the 10 years (personal details deleted). I don't know whether this is ok to cover missing expired passport. I have had no feedback on my application since the biometrics request.

Example of employer letter (reference style):

Re: Employee Name: xxxxxx
Staff No: xxxxx
Thank you for your request for a reference in respect of the above named employee of our company.
It is our policy to confine such references to confirmation of certain factual data concerning the individuals Contract of Employment with us. It is hoped you will understand that this does not imply any adverse reflection on the employee’s conduct or performance.
For your assistance we confirm the following:
CURRENT JOB TITLE: xxxxxxx Manager
PERIOD OF EMPLOYMENT: xxx xxxxxx xxx to date [or date left]
The above is given in the strictest confidence and with no liability accepted by the Company or its employees.
Yours sincerely
For xxxxxxxx Ltd.
Signed Xxxxxxx
HR Person
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

jamEnergy
Newly Registered

Re: Citizenship application - A Few Questions

Post by jamEnergy » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:54 pm

Has this actually worked for anyone in the past?

jamEnergy
Newly Registered

Letter for proof of residency

Post by jamEnergy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:48 am

Is there a report of someone using P60s/letters from schools/unis/employers to count as proof of residency?

Does it work?

£1200 is a large amount of money to throw away otherwise.

noajthan

Re: Letter for proof of residency

Post by noajthan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:59 am

jamEnergy wrote:Is there a report of someone using P60s/letters from schools/unis/employers to count as proof of residency?

Does it work?

£1200 is a large amount of money to throw away otherwise.
Of course it works.
EEA applicants do it all the time to prove residency as they do not have passport stamps.

If risk-averse and unsure of quality of application and accompanying evidence, simply apply via NCS and put only the NCS fee on the line (rather than full AN fee).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:28 pm

I used P60's to prove residency as above, EEA citizens don't get passport stamps in the EU

jamEnergy
Newly Registered

Post by jamEnergy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:20 pm

Thanks guys

alterhase58 - had you lost a passport? Did you report to the police?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:23 pm

jamEnergy wrote: alterhase58 - had you lost a passport? Did you report to the police?
No - the letter was to support the employment section, but could also support your residency.
I certainly would report loss of PP.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:52 am

The UK Police are not making reports of lost property anymore.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.