ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Daughter is an EU National living in the UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Site2Site
Newly Registered

Daughter is an EU National living in the UK

Post by Site2Site » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:21 pm

I want to join my daughter who is a Dutch citizen living in the UK. I am currently living in the US as a permenant resident holding a Kenyan passport. What would I need to do to live with my daughter in the UK? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JAJ
Australia

Re: Daughter is an EU National living in the UK

Post by JAJ » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:43 am

Site2Site wrote:I want to join my daughter who is a Dutch citizen living in the UK. I am currently living in the US as a permenant resident holding a Kenyan passport. What would I need to do to live with my daughter in the UK? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
You probably can't, unless you qualify on your own merits. Immigration options in the U.K. for parents are highly limited: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

Have you thought about swapping your Kenya passport for an American one? It won't help you gain U.K. residence but would mean that you could go back to the United States anytime.

Just a thought - any U.K. or European born parents or grandparents?

Site2Site
Newly Registered

Post by Site2Site » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:00 am

Thank you for your response even though not very encouraging. My daughter is a Dutch citizen, do you think if I applied through the Dutch embassy I would have a chance? To answer your questions about swapping my Kenyan passport for an American one, the thought has crossed my mind, but for some reason I've not really pursued it, might just think about it and maybe have a better chance in the UK with it...

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:03 pm

Site2Site wrote:Thank you for your response even though not very encouraging. My daughter is a Dutch citizen, do you think if I applied through the Dutch embassy I would have a chance? To answer your questions about swapping my Kenyan passport for an American one, the thought has crossed my mind, but for some reason I've not really pursued it, might just think about it and maybe have a better chance in the UK with it...
Apply through the Ducth embassy for what? They have absolutely nothing to do with you qualifying to join your daughter in the UK.

I recommend you obtaining US citizenship if possible...two reasons; 1. it'll only get harder and when it does you'll beat yourself up for it, and 2. many people who have forgone obtaining US citizenship - some in my family - are regretting it deeply because they can no longer return there to live without obtaining another visa. The US allows multiple citizenship...check if Kenya does also - if so, you're not losing anything.

Parent sponsorship to move to the UK is very difficult and if you are self-sufficient, i.e. employed, I think it'll be impossible. Do you have any skills?

Site2Site
Newly Registered

Post by Site2Site » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:54 pm

Thank you for your honesty. I am looking into getting US citizenship. I am currently employed as an executive administrative assistant.