ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship following ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ranger2016
Newly Registered

British Citizenship following ILR

Post by ranger2016 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:10 pm

Hi,

After trolling the internet for advise and support, I think your forum has a lot to offer. Keep up the good work!

I am struggling a bit to get a full picture of what I need to do and complete to obtain my BC. I obtained my ILR back in April 2015, about 20 months ago, and I was under the impression 12 months down I can simply apply for BC. However, this doesn't seem to be as easy as I imagined :roll: .
Reading through the AN form, it suggest I need to redo my life in the UK test and english language test - is this true?

Below is a summary of my situation, I would really appreciate if you can please guide me through on what needs to be done.

Summary -

1. I arrived in the UK back in 2006 on a UK Ancestry visa.
2. Subsequently renewed my Ancestry visa in 2011, as previous rules was for 4 years.
3. Stayed on UK Ancestry until Jan 2015
4. My wife and Obtained ILR in April 2015

Questions -

1. Do I need to redo my life in the uk test and english language test?
2. Can my wife apply along with me?
3. Upon submitting the application can I still travel in and out of the UK for work?
4. What documents must I submit for the application and do these need to be originals?

Thanks,
T :)

noajthan

Re: British Citizenship following ILR

Post by noajthan » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:17 pm

ranger2016 wrote:Hi,

Questions -

1. Do I need to redo my life in the uk test and english language test?
2. Can my wife apply along with me?
3. Upon submitting the application can I still travel in and out of the UK for work?
4. What documents must I submit for the application and do these need to be originals?

Thanks,
T :)
You were probably surfing not trolling.

1) LITUK: no.
English - what have you got?

2) Each applicant applies individually.

3) Yes; apply via NCS (keep hold of originals).

4) See guidance; yes, originals (see #3)
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ranger2016
Newly Registered

Post by ranger2016 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:08 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I graduated from a non uk university, when applying for my ILR I had to do the a B1 Trinity English test, this was around January 2015. Do I need to redo this?

What is NCS?

Regards,
T

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:21 pm

ranger2016 wrote:Thanks for the prompt reply.

I graduated from a non uk university, when applying for my ILR I had to do the a B1 Trinity English test, this was around January 2015. Do I need to redo this? You can tick on the form that you met the language etc requirement after 28th October 2013. No need to redo the test. You will need to submit your LIUK letter though.

What is NCS? Nationality Checking Service - provided by the council - small fee payable and they check your application and copy your documents and give originals back to you. It is not a walk in service, you must make an appointment.

Regards,
T
The date you apply is also important, you MUST have been physically present on exactly the same date 5 years previously. If you were not, the application will be refused.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

spzenthil

Post by spzenthil » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:47 pm

Just to add there is another service provided by council called JCAP where you can jointly apply for the passport at the sametime along with the citizenship application. So once your citizenship application is approved and you attend the ceremony and receive the certificate the passport will be sent you after a few days. Again it is not offered in all council check with the council you are applying whether they provide this service or not.

Cheers,
-Senthil

ranger2016
Newly Registered

Post by ranger2016 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:16 pm

CR001 wrote:
ranger2016 wrote:Thanks for the prompt reply.

I graduated from a non uk university, when applying for my ILR I had to do the a B1 Trinity English test, this was around January 2015. Do I need to redo this? You can tick on the form that you met the language etc requirement after 28th October 2013. No need to redo the test. You will need to submit your LIUK letter though.
can I double check this, is the LIUK the paper I received soon after the test, and not some other letter UKBA sent me? If it's the latter I don't have anything from UKBA confirming this?
What is NCS? Nationality Checking Service - provided by the council - small fee payable and they check your application and copy your documents and give originals back to you. It is not a walk in service, you must make an appointment.

Regards,
T
The date you apply is also important, you MUST have been physically present on exactly the same date 5 years previously. If you were not, the application will be refused.
i have been in the U.K. 11 years and have only been away for work and holiday, couple of weeks at a time. I assume this fulfills my criteria to apply?
Thanks,
T

ranger2016
Newly Registered

Post by ranger2016 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:20 pm

spzenthil wrote:Just to add there is another service provided by council called JCAP where you can jointly apply for the passport at the sametime along with the citizenship application. So once your citizenship application is approved and you attend the ceremony and receive the certificate the passport will be sent you after a few days. Again it is not offered in all council check with the council you are applying whether they provide this service or not.

Cheers,
-Senthil
AThanks for the heads up Senthil. I just cheked and my council offer this service. It does make life easier!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:18 pm

ranger2016 wrote:can I double check this, is the LIUK the paper I received soon after the test, and not some other letter UKBA sent me? If it's the latter I don't have anything from UKBA confirming this?
It is the letter you got when you passed the test.
The date you apply is also important, you MUST have been physically present on exactly the same date 5 years previously. If you were not, the application will be refused
i have been in the U.K. 11 years and have only been away for work and holiday, couple of weeks at a time. I assume this fulfills my criteria to apply?
If your absence in the last 5 years is within the absence limit allowed, particularly in the last 12 months, that is fine. But if you apply on, say 1st November 2016, you MUST have been physically in the UK on 1st to 2nd November 2011. Even if you were away for a holiday, you were not physically present and your application will be refused. You need to make sure you apply on the right date.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:43 am

ranger2016 wrote:After trolling the internet for advise and support, I think your forum has a lot to offer. Keep up the good work!
noajthan wrote:You were probably surfing not trolling.
I think the OP meant trawling, not trolling. This article suggests that both words can be used when it comes to researching physical media, but given its altenate online meaning, avoiding the latter when it comes to online research.

Reverting to the OP's question, I second CR001's advice on checking the date of application very carefully. The requirement of physical presence in the UK five years back is non-negotiable and the Home Office has no discretion to disregard it.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ranger2016
Newly Registered

Post by ranger2016 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:33 pm

Hi All,

I need to resurrect this post unfortunately, as I need some help with a few issues.

I am looking to put my application in in the next couple of weeks, what I do need to know is;

1. My client requires me to travel frequently (every other week to asia), once I submit my application via the JCAP process will be able to continue this travel, and for how long, when do i need to hand over my indian passport?

2 From application submission, how long is it before I get my BP?

3. Taking into account the advise on dates, assuming I am submitting my application on the 13/12/2016, does this mean I should have physically been present in the UK on the 14/12/2011? I was away from the 22/12/2011 for two weeks, what (if any) impact does this have to my application?

Thanks,
Tim

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:39 pm

1. My client requires me to travel frequently (every other week to asia), once I submit my application via the JCAP process will be able to continue this travel, and for how long, when do i need to hand over my indian passport?
Yes, you can travel. Make sure you enroll your biometrics within the timeframe though once you receive the letter. What do you mean 'hand over my indian passport'??
BP meaning British passport??? Well you first have get your application approval, then attend a ceremony and it is only at this point that you become British. Passport will be issued once you have attended the ceremony.
3. Taking into account the advise on dates, assuming I am submitting my application on the 13/12/2016, does this mean I should have physically been present in the UK on the 14/12/2011? I was away from the 22/12/2011 for two weeks, what (if any) impact does this have to my application?
Yes, you must have been physically present in the UK on the 1st day of the 5 year qualifying period, this relates to the date you submit your application for BC. If you were absent after this, not an issue.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:46 pm

ranger2016 wrote:Hi All,

I need to resurrect this post unfortunately, as I need some help with a few issues.

I am looking to put my application in in the next couple of weeks, what I do need to know is;

Thanks,
Tim
1) Apply via NCS (JCAP only available via NCS) and keep hold of passport.
Be available for biometrics, follow up enquiries (if any) and ceremony.

Disposal of foreign passport etc - no idea.

2) 4 months maybe. Your mileage may vary.
See timeline thread.

3) If a Section 6(1) application, you need to prove physical presence in UK 5 years before submission. That's it.
Maths left as exercise for interested reader.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.