ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Jail threat proposed over visas

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Dawie
Diamond Member

Jail threat proposed over visas

Post by Dawie » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:08 pm

Relatives of foreigners who outstay their visas could face imprisonment, under plans put to the Conservatives.

Shadow immigration minister Damian Green said a named sponsor could take "legal responsibility" for making sure visitors return home.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7162781.stm

Police state, anyone? This is going too far...
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

netacct

Post by netacct » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:13 pm

This is definitely ridicules. How will you know whether your relative is going to abscond or not.
Worst case, if you too nice relatives say that "give me £10K otherwise I will overstay and you will land in jail" :lol:

hmm

Post by hmm » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:39 pm

:cry: Not good news!!

isit only apply to visitor visas or other visas too such as student visa. I recently gave a sponsor letter(accomodation and money support) to cousin to come over on student visa. should I be worried????...just incase..

Is that £1000 refundable??....i.e refund it to the sponsor when the visitor go back before the visa expire.

netacct

Post by netacct » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:57 pm

Yes, £1K is refunded once the visitor leaves the country.