ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Form UKM Guide

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Fulgrun
Newly Registered

Form UKM Guide

Post by Fulgrun » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:09 pm

The following post was originally made in a separate thread, which although it pertains to the UKF form, in practice has become the de-facto home for persons seeking information on the UKM process. I wanted to create this thread so that new persons to the forum perfoming searches for UKM will find this thread and either find this post helpful and/or advise them of the UKF thread which has become so popular.

Here is a link to the UKF thread:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... ?hilit=ukf

I am happy to have successfully completed my UKM application! Here is my timeline, and I hope future applicants will find it useful.

Eligibility Criteria: UKM
Nationality: USA
Application sent: 10/2/2016 (Fedex International Priority USA to UKVI Liverpool)
Application delivered: 12/2/2016
Fees Debited: 18/2/2016 (via credit card)
USA Biometrics delay notification: 7/3/2016 (via email)
Biometrics scheduling letter: 27/05/2016 (via email)
Biometrics appointment confirmed: 6/6/2016
Biometrics Completed: 15/6/2016 (performed within USA)
Application approval received: 18/7/2016 (via mail with supporting documents; Correspondence dated 6/7/2016)
Date of contact from consulate to schedule ceremony: 9/9/2016 (via telephone with follow-up email)
Date of Ceremony: 3/10/2016
Passport application sent: 11/10/2016 (Fedex International Priority USA to HM Passport Office Durham)
Passport application delivered: 14/10/2016
Passport Received: 23/10/2016 (via DHL)
Passport supporting documents received: 25/10/2016 (via DHL)

Additional notes:

When I applied I sent in certified copies of (i) my mum's UK birth registry, (ii) my parent's marriage certificate (conducted in the UK; thereby documenting her name change), (iii) my long-form birth certificate, (iv) my passport and (v) a colour photo copy of my driver's license (thereby evidencing my current address and an additional example of my photograph).

Notably, I did not include my mum's expired passport or even a letter of explanation about my failure to include it (I did not have access to it, unfortunately). Your success may vary though so I would certainly include it if you have access, or, alternatively, include a complete colour photo copy of it. Were I to do it again, I would have included a letter of explanation.

Other applicants have been successful in not including a marriage certificate if your long-form birth certificate recites your mum's original birth name, but I think it appropriate to bolster the evidence with a marriage certificate if you have one.

The passport I sent was still valid but was set to expire a few months after I submitted my application (this is largely what informed my decision to send in my application despite knowing about the USA biometrics delays). In fact, applications are only considered after biometrics have been collected so, when my application was finally considered, my passport had expired. Luckily this did not prompt an additional inquiry.

The USA biometrics system should be fully operational and the delay I experienced should no longer exist for current and future applicants.

When you receive your application success letter, it will advise you to forbear from contacting anyone for a period of time. However, once you receive your application success letter the 90 day window to complete your citizenship ceremony is ticking (starting from the date of the letter, not your receipt). So, whatever timeline they report in the letter, you should be mindful of the 90-day window and reach out to the embassy or consular office if you have not heard from them within a few weeks of the approaching 90-day expiry.

For the passport you will begin the application through the online system and print our the declaration packet to then gather up the supporting documents and post it.

The supporting documents for the passport application were (i) a complete colour copy of my passport (the very same passport that had expired whilst in the custody of the HO), (ii) my original certificate of registration, (iii) a colour copy of the photo page of my countersignatory's passport, and (iv) two photographs per UK guidelines.

My passport countersignatory was one of the referees that I used for my citizenship application. The countersignatory must certify one of your passport photos and sign it, as well as counter-sign the application itself. Use black ink only, stay within the boxes with capital letters and keep the signatures within the signature boxes.

On the passport application you will list the certificate of registration. For the issuance date, I recited the date of the citizenship ceremony (which is the date that is then written on the face of the certificate by the consular officer) and I recited that it was issued by the Home Office London.

For the passport photos, refer to the guidelines. I went to a professional passport photography office that specializes in conforming to the varying guidelines of different countries. Take the guidelines with you and give them to your photographer to ensure they are meeting the guidelines and double check their work (bring a ruler!). Specifically, look for the proper photo dimensions, and the proper dimensions of your head. Be sure that your upper shoulders are included in the photo.

The first place I went to attached to major university with stellar reviews did an abysmal job and I had to get a second set made. Specifically, they had visible shadows under my ears on the photos which they were unable to resolve (and this is after I had them re-do the photos for failing to include my shoulders). The photos they made were also not cut to square, and so had the ragged appearance that they were cut from a larger photograph (which is not permitted). The 2nd place I went to was brilliant and provided excellent photos without my tutelage, with nice rounded corners.

You can monitor the status of your passport application online through the portal. When my was apparently approved, the status changed to "Please contact us" so don't be bothered when you see that. Upon information and belief, normal applicants from within the UK will see notification that it has been dispatched but overseas applicants do not receive this notification.

I hope that this is helpful to future applicants and I thank those that came before me on this forum for their assistance and support. Once you embark on this journey it can become an obsession, so I am grateful to to have had this forum to find information and to just commiserate with others. I will continue to check from time to time and try and be of assistance. Best of luck to everyone!

vrt77
Newly Registered

Re: Form UKM Guide

Post by vrt77 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:09 pm

Thanks for the helpful details about applying from America. I am also applying from the U.S. and had my biometrics done yesterday. I am wondering, should I send the receipt to the same place I sent the application? Or do they know already. Is there any action required on my part at this point? The guide and other communications don't say.
Thanks!

Bobomo
Newly Registered

Re: Form UKM Guide

Post by Bobomo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:04 pm

Thank you for sharing this information. Can I clarify one point from your guide?
When I applied I sent in certified copies of (i) my mum's UK birth registry, (ii) my parent's marriage certificate (conducted in the UK; thereby documenting her name change), (iii) my long-form birth certificate, (iv) my passport and (v) a colour photo copy of my driver's license (thereby evidencing my current address and an additional example of my photograph).
You sent a certified copy of your passport, and not your original passport?

Thanks,
Bob