ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PBS Dependant Query - planning to move to Australia

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

AJT
Newly Registered

PBS Dependant Query - planning to move to Australia

Post by AJT » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:32 pm

Hi

I am currently on ILR and have applied for British citizenship - previously been on Tier 2 general visa.
My wife is continuing on "PBS dependant leave to remain" visa valid till 2018 - at this point she will be eligible to apply for ILR as she would complete 5 years.

I am planning to go work in Australia for a while after obtaining British Passport. If my wife accompanies me to Australia on an australian dependent visa (i believe its called 457 work permit) - will she lose the UK PBS visa ?
Can she hold two dependent visa at the same time ? Aim is for her to get British passport as we plan to come back to UK at some point.

If she spends time away from UK - will she no longer be eligible for ILR ? Is there a time frame she can stay away from UK without losing her right to apply for ILR - is it 180 days a year ?

What happens if she spends part of the time in Australia on a tourist visa ?

Also if i go and work in Australia and she stays in UK will she still be eligible to stay on as a PBS dependent ?
Will it cause a problem that I spend more time outside of UK when she applies for ILR in 2018 ?

Many thanks and very much obliged for all your help as always
AJT

noajthan

Re: PBS Dependant Query - planning to move to Australia

Post by noajthan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:48 am

Wife needs to naturalise before obtaining a passport.

The visa of another country is of little or no interest to UK authorities except where it may indicate future intentions.

Read up on rules on absences in relation to naturalisation as well as the (different) rules for ILR.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:54 am

She also cannot stay on her own in the UK on PBS Dependent visa if you are no longer living here. Here status is dependent on you.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

AJT
Newly Registered

Post by AJT » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:22 pm

Thanks very much for your replies. Very helpful as always. Thank you