ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

overstayed but now struggling

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

clarabelle
Newly Registered

overstayed but now struggling

Post by clarabelle » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:18 pm

Hi everyone, apoligies if this is in the wrong forum.

I have lived in the uk for 22 years, so I came to the UK when I was 8 from Zimbabwe. At 18 I made an appliction for ILR and it was denied. The HO's reason was very highly doubtful/ shady. Anyway I never had my own passport, I was always in my mother's passport, which made a lot of things dificult for me, i.e getting a drivers licence etc. Anyway The HO stated that they were rejecting my application because I was now a dependant and had to obtain my own passport and then apply from scratch from outside the country. I found myself an immigration lawyer who help me appeal against the HO decision. It took 2 long years, I couldn't go to university or work, I basically had no rights. The HO eventually granted me Discretionary Leave to remain, which I have now had for 8 years, so renewed 3 times. I was due to apply for my ILR in August this year, but by my own stupidity I had the dates mixed up, including still trying to finish my pre-registration for my degree and other personal issues I messed up. I sent the application in a week late. I recieved my biometric letter and did my biometrics straight away around 5 weeks ago. At the same time I recieved a call from work telling me that they are dismissing me from my position as I no longer have the right to work. I am not sure what to do, I am running out of funds, defaulting on credit cards, rent and etc. I am also coming to the point of depression because I am so used to being busy and now nothing.

I understand everyone will have an opinion, but helpful ones would be more useful and I'm not too sure if this is the right forum to post this on. Thanks everyone

noajthan

Re: overstayed but now struggling

Post by noajthan » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:11 pm

Welcome.

Yes this is right place.

Sounds like you have filed ILR so good luck with that.

A recent court victory also helps students still on DLR.
Ref http://www.immigrationboards.com/genera ... t#p1363807

So look on bright side, things are on up and up.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

clarabelle
Newly Registered

Post by clarabelle » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:21 am

Hi

Thank you

My worry is how long they will take to consider and give me an answer, since I am an overstayer, my lawyer said they will take their time to punish me. Previously when I have applied for an extension of my DLR, which was well within time, I wasn't an overstayer, they took so long that by the time I recieved it all back the start date of the visa was already a year old, so I only had 1.5 years left on it.

I have recieved two emails from the HO, one on the 14th of September and another one on the 14th of November stating that theyr are still considering my application.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:46 am

Indifferent, impersonal, bureaucratic, convoluted and long-winded - HO may be some or all of these things; after all its a government department.
Not sure about "punishment".
Hard to bear - I'm sure it is. Most people here have been through some such trial.

In fact 2 emails almost amounts to 'special treatment', I would plan on hearing nothing so anything else is a bonus.
Feedback, handholding and customer service is not a HO forte.

This is just the universe's way of showing noone owes you anything.
But it may help to ditch a victim mentality - you only wear yourself down.
Its going to take time, these things do.
Just hang in there.

clarabelle
Newly Registered

Post by clarabelle » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:47 pm

I will try, thank you.

abib1
BANNED

Post by abib1 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:01 pm

If you're from Zimbabwe than I think you have a very high chance of getting asylum.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:05 pm

abib1 wrote:If you're from Zimbabwe than I think you have a very high chance of getting asylum.
You have been warned several times not to advise members to apply for asylum when they obviously don't qualify. Your membership is close to being terminated.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:27 pm

abib1 wrote:If you're from Zimbabwe than I think you have a very high chance of getting asylum.
This is mindless stupidity.
After member in question has lived in UK for 22 years :!:
Are you having a laugh :roll:

abib1
BANNED

Post by abib1 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:51 am

Zimbabwe is unsafe and run by dictator.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:01 am

abib1 wrote:Zimbabwe is unsafe and run by dictator.
Zimbabwe is no longer on the 'danger' list with HO and hasn't been for a couple of years now and if the OP has lived in the UK for 22 years, highly unlikely an asylum claim will be successful.

It is not only this topic, you are peddling the same bizarre asylum post in any others you find. Please desist from doing this or your access will be terminated.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:01 am

abib1 wrote:Zimbabwe is unsafe and run by dictator.
Your advice is unsafe, maybe you'll feel more at home on Mumsnet?

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/zimbabwe
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

clarabelle
Newly Registered

Post by clarabelle » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:44 am

Hi Abib1,

Asylum would not apply to me at all, after 22 years it will not make sense. As for being from Zimbabwe, it does not put me in their favour. I doubt the HO make decisions based on which country the applicant is from. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows what occurs behind those closed doors.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:53 am

clarabelle wrote:Hi Abib1,

Asylum would not apply to me at all, after 22 years it will not make sense. As for being from Zimbabwe, it does not put me in their favour. I doubt the HO make decisions based on which country the applicant is from. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows what occurs behind those closed doors.
Certain countries will be considered for asylum applicants and yes, it is country specific. Zimbabwe has been removed from this list anyway.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

clarabelle
Newly Registered

Post by clarabelle » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:59 am

Hey,

I didn't realised it was country specific, well I'm trying to be postitive and hope for the best. Hopefully nothing goes against me.