ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

After Citizenship Ceremony, what's the next step?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sevendust12

After Citizenship Ceremony, what's the next step?

Post by sevendust12 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:46 am

Hi All,

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone for sharing their feedback and help during these past 6 months. I'm pleased to say that I've received a letter from the HO today (enclosed was the letter along with my supporting documents) and my citizenship application was successful. I'm just waiting for another letter in regards to the actual ceremony.

I would like to ask, after this has been done, can I apply for my British Passport? I am currently holding a BNO (british national overseas) passport.. Do I just apply for my "First" british passport? Or do I need to apply in a different way? Not clear on this. Also, what happens to the BNO passport?

Please note that I am not residing in the UK, my application was made overseas.

Thanks everyone.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: After Citizenship Ceremony, what's the next step?

Post by CR001 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:51 am

I would like to ask, after this has been done, can I apply for my British Passport?
Yes. Passport applications from overseas take a bit longer to process, so be aware of that.
Do I just apply for my "First" british passport?
Yes
Also, what happens to the BNO passport?
Not sure about this one.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zed.
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by zed. » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:02 am

Congrats sevendust12. You can start your passport application here after you have received your certificate of registration.

Since you already have a BNO passport, the process should be fairly straight forward and quick. I got my BC passport within 3 weeks from posting the documents. It's a "Change of details" application, not a "First Adult Passport" application.

After you submit your passport application online and pay the fee, you will be asked to download a declaration pack. That will list all the documents you need to post with it. I had to send original certificate of registration, signed declaration form, 2 photographs, original BNO passport and a color photocopy of both sides of my Hong Kong permanent identity card.

AFAIK, BNO passport is cancelled when BC passport is issued. we can only keep one valid British passport at a time. However, we still retain the BNO status.

sevendust12

Post by sevendust12 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:27 am

Zed,

Thank you for that detailed information, it was very helpful. I wasn't sure which route to take in regards to applying the BC passport.

It's been almost 1 month since the issue of the approval letter, so far, no ceremony invitation letter yet.

Did you get the invitation letter immediately? Or you had to wait? If so, how long?

Thanks again.

zed.
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by zed. » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:01 am

sevendust12 wrote: Did you get the invitation letter immediately? Or you had to wait? If so, how long?
I think I was approved sometime in June. I never received any approval letter or email. Received the ceremony invitation from my local consulate at the end of August.

AFAIK, Home Office delivers citizenship certificates to its foreign posts using diplomatic courier . It usually takes around 8-12 weeks for the local consulate to receive the documents. Yours should be on the way. Good luck.

sevendust12

Post by sevendust12 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:53 am

zed. wrote:
sevendust12 wrote: Did you get the invitation letter immediately? Or you had to wait? If so, how long?
I think I was approved sometime in June. I never received any approval letter or email. Received the ceremony invitation from my local consulate at the end of August.

AFAIK, Home Office delivers citizenship certificates to its foreign posts using diplomatic courier . It usually takes around 8-12 weeks for the local consulate to receive the documents. Yours should be on the way. Good luck.
Thanks for that Zed.

I have received a letter from the british consulate yesterday regarding the ceremony. Booked for Jan 18th 2017.

All in all, it took around 8 weeks for this to be received.