ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation Eligibility

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Resilient
Newly Registered

Naturalisation Eligibility

Post by Resilient » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:09 am

Im not a British national but my 5 year old son just got his nationality. Me and his father divorced long ago however i still see my child. Can i apply for the british nationality on the basis of my child? If yes, im i eligible straightaway or do i need to wait for a certain period before applying.
Thanks.

noajthan

Re: Naturalisation Eligibility

Post by noajthan » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:17 am

Resilient wrote:Im not a British national but my 5 year old son just got his nationality. Me and his father divorced long ago however i still see my child. Can i apply for the british nationality on the basis of my child? If yes, im i eligible straightaway or do i need to wait for a certain period before applying.
Thanks.
No, you are not suddenly British and cannot 'inherit' from your son.

Where are you and what's your immigration status/nationality?
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Resilient
Newly Registered

Post by Resilient » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:21 am

Im already in uk for last 5 years now and on student visa.

abib1
BANNED

Post by abib1 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:43 am

U have to pass the life in the uk test

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:50 am

You have no advantage from having a British child, especially if s/he is not living with you.

You will still need to get ILR through a relevant route (via the PBS route or as the spouse of a British citizen or via Long Residence) and apply for British citizenship in the usual way, after meeting all the standard requirements.

If the child is not living with you and you are not the primary carer, it seems you are not eligible to Zambrano protection either.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:53 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.