ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fiance or unmarried partner

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Pharmgirl
Newly Registered

Fiance or unmarried partner

Post by Pharmgirl » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:19 am

Hi all
This is my first post
Just some background about my situation: received British citizenship in 2015 via naturalisation. I have been with my boyfriend since 2011: we met at university when he was under a student visa. In 2014 he went back home to Nigeria for 2months and returned to carry out a masters one year degree. At the end of that visa he was granted a tier 1 graduate entrepreneur visa from Mach 2015 to march 2016. He applied to extend the visa but was refused. He then send a second application in June but we received a second rejection letter on 6/11. We have been living together since dec 2014 but my name has never been on the tenancy agreement as I moved into his flat; i only transfer my share of rent to his account. I do have one bill in my name but this wasn't until a few months after I had already moved in (landlord is happy to write a letter stating he knew i moved in).He was receiving a singe occupancy discount for council for about 3 months after I moved in (we paid the fine and have the documents to prove that we eventually did notify the council). Given that we don't have joint tenancy I'm a bit worried we cant provide enough evidence that we have been living together for 2 years even though we have. The other option would be for him to return home and apply for fiance visa. Could I have some advice as to how much evidence you need to prove your intention to marry? We did plan on marying eventually but obviously have nothing planned RIGHT NOW.we can get engaged,tell our families who we make will support the idea, but how much actual wedding planning is needed for that visa to be approved? I work as a pharmacist so I earn above 18600 a year.i admit I'm not very good with money so I dip into my overdraft almost every month. I do have about 4k in savings.im just concerned that they may say I cannot support us during the 6 month visa If approved. Any advice on the situation would be appreciated!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Fiance or unmarried partner

Post by Wanderer » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:22 am

Either way he'll have to return home to apply as he doesn't seem to have an legal status here.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Pharmgirl
Newly Registered

Post by Pharmgirl » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:27 am

The second rejection letter did state that he can apply for administrative review or another visa hence the idea to consider applying for the unmarried partner visa during this 28 day period.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:40 am

Pharmgirl wrote:The second rejection letter did state that he can apply for administrative review or another visa hence the idea to consider applying for the unmarried partner visa during this 28 day period.
Administrative review is for if the applicant feel UKVI have errored in their decision wrt to the application and the apply for another visa with 28 days just assumes valid leave anyway.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:45 am

Pharmgirl wrote:The second rejection letter did state that he can apply for administrative review or another visa hence the idea to consider applying for the unmarried partner visa during this 28 day period.
Within the recent Statement of Changes, the 28 day window for an AR or a new visa application has been reduced to 14 days.

From the information you've given in your opening post, you have nowhere near enough evidence to prove a relationship 'akin to marriage' for the mandatory 2 year period.

The Case Worker would expect to see joint commitments such as shared finances, both names on a tenancy agreement and utility bills etc. Unmarried Partner visas come under a great deal of scrutiny and without this documented evidence, the application would fail.

Regarding a fiance visa and showing intention to marry, examples would be quotes for a venue, caterers, invitations etc. Receipt for an engagement ring.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Pharmgirl
Newly Registered

Post by Pharmgirl » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:47 am

Oh ok,thank you. so the fiance visa then. Any advice on the points I mentioned above I.e wedding plans and implications of going into overdraft?much appreciated x