ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Enough time to arrange ceremony and receive passport?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

chssvi

Enough time to arrange ceremony and receive passport?

Post by chssvi » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:50 am

I just got my letter saying that my application was approved.

I'm calling the council (Southwark) first thing tomorrow to arrange the citizenship ceremony. However, I wanted to get people's views on the following: I applied for citizenship using the Southwark NCS and I applied for the passport at the same time. Passport fees left my account some time ago. In addition, I'll be traveling abroad on the 22nd of December, returning mid Jan.

My question is, will thee be enough time (just under four weeks) to arrange the ceremony and receive the passport or should I just play it safe and wait until I come back?

Thanks as always

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Enough time to arrange ceremony and receive passport?

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:31 am

You should consider:

1. The availability Southwark Council have for you to attend your ceremony in December

2. Delays in the Christmas post for the delivery of your passport.

I suggest you call the Council tomorrow and book your ceremony for when you return from your travels. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

pentaya
India

Post by pentaya » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:32 am

well the timeline is a bit tight. If you managed to attend your ceremony, Passport should arrive the latest by 10th Dec which gives you ample of time. But what if your council dont have any slots to book you in for ceremony ? Then you may have to go for special ceremony only for you by paying £150 or something around it depends on the council

chssvi

Post by chssvi » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:01 pm

Thanks a lot for the reply, guys.

I guess I'd better not risk it. There's really not much of an advantage getting it before I travel other than using the UK/EEA line at immigration when I come back. I'll just leave it for January when I come back. Have waited for six years, I can wait one more month.

Thanks again!

chssvi

Post by chssvi » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:29 am

Just as an update, you guys were right. Just called and the earliest ceremony date available is the 13th of December, which leaves just over a week for the passport to arrive. Booked it for mid-Jan when I return. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks again!