ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help please!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sujoo
Newly Registered

Help please!

Post by sujoo » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:32 pm

Hi,
I've recently applied for a British Citizenship, and have got an acknowledge letter from the home office. I've noticed 1 thing in that letter which is extremely worrying me. I applied as a wife of a British citizen, so the acknowledgement letter should have the type of application; AN6 (2) + ceremony, but it says AN6(1) + ceremony. I can't understand why they have done this! Well, we both are Nepalese and my husband is in the army and still in a service (engineering regiment). He got his British citizenship last year on November.

Hence, I applied for citizenship not through 5 years residency permit but as a spouse of British citizen because the guidelines clearly suggests, we don't have to meet 5 years residency if we are married to British citizen and have ILR, and meet 3years residency. I meet all this requirements. I'm quite doubtful for one reason; my husband wasn't British citizenship when we got married 4years. For me to eligible to apply as a spouse of British citizen, did my husband had to be British at the time when we got married. Or, it doesn't matter as long as he is a British citizen before I apply for the citizenship.
Can you please advise me.
Thanks.

noajthan

Re: Help please!

Post by noajthan » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:39 pm

sujoo wrote:Hi,
I've recently applied for a British Citizenship, and have got an acknowledge letter from the home office. I've noticed 1 thing in that letter which is extremely worrying me. I applied as a wife of a British citizen, so the acknowledgement letter should have the type of application; AN6 (2) + ceremony, but it says AN6(1) + ceremony. I can't understand why they have done this! Well, we both are Nepalese and my husband is in the army and still in a service (engineering regiment). He got his British citizenship last year on November.

Hence, I applied for citizenship not through 5 years residency permit but as a spouse of British citizen because the guidelines clearly suggests, we don't have to meet 5 years residency if we are married to British citizen and have ILR, and meet 3years residency. I meet all this requirements. I'm quite doubtful for one reason; my husband wasn't British citizenship when we got married 4years. For me to eligible to apply as a spouse of British citizen, did my husband had to be British at the time when we got married. Or, it doesn't matter as long as he is a British citizen before I apply for the citizenship.
Can you please advise me.
Thanks.
Welcome.

Your understanding is correct, spouse's previous status doesn't matter as long as your spouse is a British citizen before you apply for citizenship under section 6(2).
Caseworker should figure it out from information and evidence supplied. Eg marriage certificate.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:17 pm

sujoo wrote:For me to eligible to apply as a spouse of British citizen, did my husband had to be British at the time when we got married. Or, it doesn't matter as long as he is a British citizen before I apply for the citizenship.
He only needs to be British at the time of YOUR application NOT from date of marriage.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sujoo
Newly Registered

Post by sujoo » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:03 pm

Sigh of relief! Thank you for both of you.
One more question, in the AN form there was no option for whether we're applying for section6, 1 or 2! Guess this is the job of caseworkers.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:36 pm

sujoo wrote:Sigh of relief! Thank you for both of you.
One more question, in the AN form there was no option for whether we're applying for section6, 1 or 2! Guess this is the job of caseworkers.
Yes, that's what you pay the big bucks for.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.