ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Nationality for BPP

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

aukazi
Newly Registered

British Nationality for BPP

Post by aukazi » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:04 am

I was born in 1961 in Zanzibar to BPP Father and Mother. I have my BPP Birth Certificate.
My Grand Father had British subject passport.

My father was receiving pension from the British Government until 2004.

I have all original documents with me.

Can I apply for British Nationality, Please advise. Thank you

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: British Nationality for BPP

Post by ohara » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:45 am

If you have no other nationality and have never held any other nationality, I believe you have an entitlement to register as a British citizen under section 4B of the British Nationality Act 1981.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/home-office ... y-act-1981

Using form B(OS): https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-form-bos

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:00 pm

Having been born in Zanzibar in 1961, you would have been born both a Zanzibari subject/citizen and a statutory BPP. But statutory BPP status was terminated for people of Zanzibari citizenship on 10th December 1963. Hence you have not been a BPP since 1963, unless your father was a BPP by reason of a protectorate other than Zanzibar, in which case, we would have to look up the laws in that regards.

Regarding the acquisition of Zanzibari citizenship at birth, see the second page of this document from the Swedish Migration Agency.

Regarding Zanzibari citizenship and loss of statutory BPP status, see Franzmann's British Nationality Law, Pages 1298-99.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:29 pm

aukazi wrote:My father was receiving pension from the British Government until 2004.
I am sorry, I missed that bit. What exactly was your father getting his pension for? Whom (if he worked for a British government body, which one/department) did he work for?

Be aware that even if he was in "Crown Service", if he had no other connections with the UK, you would only end up with British Overseas Citizenship, which does not allow you the right to live and work in the UK (or anywhere else in the world).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.