ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US citizen in UK, is "preemptive" spouse visa advi

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

LA_Mike

US citizen in UK, is "preemptive" spouse visa advi

Post by LA_Mike » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:37 pm

I'm a US citizen living in the UK (on HSMP/FLR, soon to be ILR)

I married an Irish citizen last year and live with her in London. We have no current plans to move to the US, but may in a year or two and would like to avoid the issue of having to wait for visas at that time.

Is it possible to apply for an immigrant visa now and postpone entry or to enter and leave maintaining status?

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:13 pm

Once your wife obtains her immigrant visa she will have to activate it within 6 months. This period cannot be extended. However it's perfectly ok to take a trip to the US to activate the visa and then go back to the UK for a while to sort out your affairs before moving to the US permanently.

JAJ
Australia

Re: US citizen in UK, is "preemptive" spouse visa

Post by JAJ » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:08 am

LA_Mike wrote:I'm a US citizen living in the UK (on HSMP/FLR, soon to be ILR)

I married an Irish citizen last year and live with her in London. We have no current plans to move to the US, but may in a year or two and would like to avoid the issue of having to wait for visas at that time.

Is it possible to apply for an immigrant visa now and postpone entry or to enter and leave maintaining status?
Do either/both of you plan to get your British citizenship before you leave? (which is recommended)