ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cert of Entitlement

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Bobthemoggie

Cert of Entitlement

Post by Bobthemoggie » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:58 pm

Hi

What is the process for obtaining Right of Abode/cert of entitlement for child born outside UK to a British citizen & a ILR holder (non-dual national).
what will be the status of the child born outside UK;
At the time of birth parents were: naturalised British citizen & a ILR person.

How to obtain a Certificate of entitlement?
Also in order to obtain that- what are the steps - viz Is it Apply for non-UK nationality first> Obtain non-UK passport then
register your child British embassy with MN1 / is there any other route?

Kindly advise

Cheers

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Cert of Entitlement

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:03 pm

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:14 pm

There is already an ongoing thread regarding the application of CoE-RoA for a British-Indian dual citizen child. Perhaps this query can be merged into that thread.

Your child, being born to a British parent and an Indian parent in India, is born a dual British-Indian citizen. Because s/he is born in India, to the best of my knowledge, s/he can retain both nationalities till the time s/he applies for a British passport (i.e. the restriction of making a choice at 18 does not apply).

The flipside of that is that the CoE-RoA is a purely domestic (within the UK) document and if s/he were to travel anywhere abroad, s/he would be treated as a solely Indian national and would have to apply for the relevant visas. So, when s/he grows up and wants to go with his schoolmates for a weekend to Calais or Dublin, s/he will need a visa just the same as any Indian national. If at that time s/he opts for a British passport, his Indian citizenship will lapse.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Bobthemoggie

Post by Bobthemoggie » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:54 pm

secret.simon wrote:There is already an ongoing thread regarding the application of CoE-RoA for a British-Indian dual citizen child. Perhaps this query can be merged into that thread.

Your child, being born to a British parent and an Indian parent in India, is born a dual British-Indian citizen. Because s/he is born in India, to the best of my knowledge, s/he can retain both nationalities till the time s/he applies for a British passport (i.e. the restriction of making a choice at 18 does not apply).

The flipside of that is that the CoE-RoA is a purely domestic (within the UK) document and if s/he were to travel anywhere abroad, s/he would be treated as a solely Indian national and would have to apply for the relevant visas. So, when s/he grows up and wants to go with his schoolmates for a weekend to Calais or Dublin, s/he will need a visa just the same as any Indian national. If at that time s/he opts for a British passport, his Indian citizenship will lapse.
Thanks for kind reply.
I am bit puzzled with RoA & CoE application process.
i.e. What is the first step in obtaining CoE for the new born child?- i.e Do we have to register the child as British using MN1 form?

Kindly advise
Thanks

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:05 pm

No, such child cannot be registered as a citizen as fortunate enough to have been born British!
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:54 am

I don't believe you can register a British citizen as a British citizen.

For CoE-RoA, start here: https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode/apply ... ntitlement

It is significantly more expensive than a British passport, with none of the benefits of a British passport (other than easier entry into the UK).