ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visitor Visa for Mother-In-Law rejected

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pauldm21
Scotland

Visitor Visa for Mother-In-Law rejected

Post by pauldm21 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:08 pm

Hi folks,

I'm after a bit of advice and thoughts on my situation... I recently applied for a Visit Visa for my mother in law from Peru which was rejected.

In a nutshell, I'm a British Citizen. My wife is from Peru, currently on the 5-year settlement route (3.5years in approximately). We applied for her mother to come and stay with us in the UK for a month over xmas and new year.... meet my family for the first time, see a little bit of the UK etc. The reason I'm posting this on here as reading the reasons they've given for rejection, I think we covered those in our application.

It seems it was rejected because she did not meet the requirements of paragraphs 4.2 and 4.3 of Appendix V Immigration rules for Visitors. There's then a brief explanation....
"You state that you wish to travel to the UK for 1 month and 4days to visit a family member. When Considering an application, it is the circumstances of the applicant at the time of application which are of utmost importance. I can place no weight on your personal, financial, professional or family circumstances for this application. I am therefore not satisfied your personal circumstances are as stated".

and then

"You state that you are currently self employed in sales, however no evidence of this employment has been submitted. I am therefore not satisfied that you are employed as stated or that you have employment to return to when you leave the UK"

and then

"In light of all of the above, I am not satisfied as to your intentions in wishing to travel to the UK now. I am not satisfied that you genuinely intend a short visit only to the UK and that you will leave at the end of the visit. Furthermore, I am not satisfied you will be able to maintain and accommodate yourself adequately in the UK or meet the costs of your return or onward journey".

The last paragraph actually infuriates me.

Sounds like we completely hashed the application up right? For the purposes of me understanding the situation and re-applying, let me list what included with the application and if anyone can add to what we should have done differently, please do....

The usual letters from Me (Sponsor and Son-In-Law)
Letter from my Wife (daughter of applicant)
Letter from my Father (generally supporting the application and providing financial support if needed)
Our wage slips and bank statements (combined average income of £2800-£3000 per month with fixed outgoings of around £1200 per month).
Evidence of savings of around £1500.
A copy of our mortgage agreement, photgraphs and a floor plan of our 3 bedroom house showing that we own an adequate property to accommodate her.
My wifes flights as evidence that she was travelling to Peru to 'collect' her mum and travel to the UK with her (she her mother has never travelled long haul alone).
My mother in laws RETURN flight ticket (including copies of her flight tickets internally in Peru, which all matched the dates her daughter was flying on the same flights).
Letters from my wifes 3 brothers (stating their circumstances, that they were of her trip and that their mother would be returning to Peru as she has grandchildren there, a husband, and her youngest son is still in university so she supports him to a certain extent).
A copy of the title deeds of the property which my mother in law part owns.
A copy of her bank statement (very little activity on this - she has her own small business which is almost entirely cash operated).
She is 61 so doesn't work much and gets financial support from us and her other 2 sons who are both employed full time.

Based on what they have said, they have judged her ties to Peru to be insufficient? the last paragraph is bullsh*t.... its human nature to want to visit you're family at xmas, we provided evidence of return travel arrangements, evidence she had adequate accommodation and evidence that we could support her.

Apologies for the lengthy post. I know theres no point moaning about the situation. Any thoughts on the above and how to approach the next application would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
08/03/2013 - Spouse Visa App submitted, Lima, Peru
16/03/2013 - Docs received, Rio Embassy

vinny

Re: Visitor Visa for Mother-In-Law rejected

Post by vinny » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:15 am

Let the The Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration know of any poor decision making.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

lunatfr

Post by lunatfr » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:31 pm

And contact your local MP to complain against the Home Office's decision. Am seeing more and more silly refusals lately.

pauldm21
Scotland

Post by pauldm21 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:38 pm

vinny wrote:Let the The Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration know of any poor decision making.
Thanks. When re-applying, should we refer to the previous application being rejected? Or not mention it and go over the top with evidence on the areas it was rejected for last time?

Route to ILR
Member of Standing

Post by Route to ILR » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:33 pm

pauldm21 wrote:
vinny wrote:Let the The Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration know of any poor decision making.
Thanks. When re-applying, should we refer to the previous application being rejected? Or not mention it and go over the top with evidence on the areas it was rejected for last time?
What will u write in the application section where they ask Have u ever been refused UK visa before?

If u don't mention the previous refusal in the new application they will treat it as deception and ban your MIL for 10 years.

Write a covering letter with refusal points and answer them accordingly.

pauldm21
Scotland

Post by pauldm21 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:22 pm

Thanks, I had no intention of not declaring the previous rejection. Just wondered whether it was best to approach this one as a completely unrelated application, or do as you say and state the reasons it was rejected and endeavour to make it clear she/we meet the criteria. My concern is we don't really have any 'fresh' supporting evidence and I don't want the application to come across like an argument against the previous decision.

poper
Diamond Member
India

Post by poper » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:16 pm

pauldm21 wrote:Thanks, I had no intention of not declaring the previous rejection. Just wondered whether it was best to approach this one as a completely unrelated application, or do as you say and state the reasons it was rejected and endeavour to make it clear she/we meet the criteria. My concern is we don't really have any 'fresh' supporting evidence and I don't want the application to come across like an argument against the previous decision.
Do not fail to declare if specifically requested in the application. Else the applicant will be slapped with a 10 year entry ban to the UK
Any suggestions I make in the forum are out my personal experience and should not be taken as a legal/professional advise.