ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa Confusion

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

JacobGross
Newly Registered

Visa Confusion

Post by JacobGross » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:18 pm

Okay, I have been looking around so much for an answer to this, Perhaps I have looked so much that I got confused somewhere along the road. In any case, I am trying to move to England from the USA. I recently came back from a vacation there. My girlfriend lives in Bristol and we are trying to determine the best way for my daughter and I to come and live there. Now, We are thinking about marriage but we are looking at other options as well. I have a 7 year old daughter that I would need to get into school right away, Does she need a visa to be able to get into school? I also want to work, I don't want to move there and do nothing. So, Is marriage the easiest way to get us over there or would applying for a work visa (still unsure which i would need) be the best way, And if I get a work visa does that mean my child can go to school so long as I am there with a current visa because of her age? My girlfriend has a place to stay and she also has a child about the same age. So to reiterate, My daughter and I would like to basically just pack up our stuff and go, no company transfers or student applications for me. Pretty much starting life anew over there. I have read all about the visa information on the the government website and for some reason nothing is clicking with me.

This may sound a bit jumbled, but I just can't figure out a course of action and If this post is in an incorrect section of these forums I also apologize. I'm just getting a bunch of mixed ideas.

Thank you for your time.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Visa Confusion

Post by ohara » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:17 pm

Tier 2 General if you are a skilled worker; even better if you have a skill which is on the shortage occupation list: https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/overview

Or spouse visa: https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/overview

KatieWills
Wales

Post by KatieWills » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:40 am

Is your gf British?
Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:52 am

JacobGross wrote: I have a 7 year old daughter that I would need to get into school right away, Does she need a visa to be able to get into school?
Do you have sole responsibility for your daughter and legal proof-like a court order-of this?
JacobGross wrote: My girlfriend has a place to stay and she also has a child about the same age.
Is your girlfriend British and does she earn £22400/annum or more?

If she is not British, does she have an EU nationality?
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:56 am

There is no gf/bf route.
Bottom line: its Tier 1, Tier 2 or marriage.

UK are not Philistines, PBS minor / family visa dependent minors may attend school.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.