ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Difference between naturalised citizen and born citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

suktankar999
Newly Registered

Difference between naturalised citizen and born citizen

Post by suktankar999 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:53 pm

Hi,

I completed my naturalisation ceremony today and become a British citizen :). My British passport should be coming in the next 10 days.

I am keen on knowing the key differences between being a naturalised citizen and born citizen?

Can my parents or brother apply for British citizenship as my dependent?

Thanks,
Sam

noajthan

Re: Difference between naturalised citizen and born citizen

Post by noajthan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:02 pm

Innate love of queuing, "Monty Python" and discussing the weather.

No, your parents, siblings are nothing to do with your citizenship; there is no concept of petioning for them, nor sponsoring extended family in some sort of chain migration.
They will have to get to UK in own right and under own steam.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

tiredoftiers

Post by tiredoftiers » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:07 pm

I noted it from my son's passport application form that if child is British national at the time of birth that led me to assume born British is being national while being British through naturalization system is being citizen

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:15 pm

(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:04 pm

suktankar999 wrote:I am keen on knowing the key differences between being a naturalised citizen and born citizen?
No distinction. The key difference in nationality law is between a British citizen by descent (one born abroad, but British because one of his parents was a British citizen at the time of the birth) and a British citizen otherwise than by descent (all other citizens). The former can not transmit their British citizenship to their own children born abroad automatically, the latter can.

But duty and rights wise, both of them are identical.
tiredoftiers wrote:I noted it from my son's passport application form that if child is British national at the time of birth that led me to assume born British is being national while being British through naturalization system is being citizen
Reproduced from Wikipedia
Nationality is the legal relationship between a person and a state. Nationality affords the state jurisdiction over the person and affords the person the protection of the state. What these rights and duties are vary from state to state.

Nationality differs technically and legally from citizenship, which is a different legal relationship between a person and a country. The noun national can include both citizens and non-citizens. The most common distinguishing feature of citizenship is that citizens have the right to participate in the political life of the state, such as by voting or standing for election. However, in most modern countries all nationals are citizens of the state, and full citizens are always nationals of the state.
Loosely, nationality can be understood as "which country's passport do you carry?". That country stands behind you when you are abroad and you are under the aegis of that country's protection.

Citizenship could be loosely defined as "which country's political life can you participate in"? That is a very broad definition. People with ILR can participate in the UK's political life as if they were British citizens, without holding British citizenship. But that definition gives you the idea of the difference between nationality and citizenship. The former is outwards facing and a matter of international law, the latter is a matter of domestic rights and domestic law.

As Casa's link illustrates, there are many categories of British nationality. Only British citizens, one type of British nationality, has the right of abode in the UK. You could have a British passport of another British nationality (such as a British Overseas Citizen passport or a British National Overseas passport) and have no more rights than another non-EEA citizen in the UK. Categories of British nationality other than British citizens have no automatic right to enter the UK, let alone to live in the UK and may even require visas to enter the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:11 pm

secret.simon wrote: People with ILR can participate in the UK's political life as if they were British citizens, without holding British citizenship. .
If you don't mind me further muddling the distinctions being made here, this is only true if you are a commonwealth citizen. When I and my wife held ILR, she (an Indian citizen) could vote in UK elections. I (an American) could not vote until I was naturalized.