ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Self employed financial requirements

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Scottgrn
Newly Registered

Self employed financial requirements

Post by Scottgrn » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:01 pm

Dear all,

Please could you help as it is a little unclear:
I am self employed, which figure is taken into account for the financial requirement (£18,600)
Earnings are £26,000 minus expenses (petrol etc) = £21,000 minus Personal allowance 2015/16 of £10,600 = £10,400.

Is the figure which they use £21,000 as this is the profit after all my expenses?
Do they take into account the personal allowance which takes off £10,600 leaving £10,400 which is under the required £18,600?

Many thanks for your help, I would be very grateful for a answer.
Happy Christmas
Scott

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Self employed financial requirements

Post by Casa » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:23 pm

The personal allowance isn't deducted in the calculation.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Scottgrn
Newly Registered

Post by Scottgrn » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:51 pm

Thank you Casa,

Just one other question,
I am applying for second part of spouse visa FLR, my wife is 4 months pregnant during the application, will I have to have a higher earnings threshold which they want for children, or as the baby isn't born yet will it still be £18,600 threshold?
Thank you so much
Scott

Mojohnson
Pakistan

Post by Mojohnson » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:07 pm

As far as I'm aware you don't even need to deduct the expenses from the figure as it is the gross annual income that needs to reach the minimum requirements - so your £26,000 is well above the requirement.

Mojohnson
Pakistan

Post by Mojohnson » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:15 pm

There is no increase in threshold until the dependant child is born.

With regards the baby - I wanted to ask , would the baby not have British citizenship? ( I'm sorry I'm not aware of the background to your case so am asking)

As far as I'm aware If the child is British then Is not classed as dependant for the application so your threshold would remain at 18,600£ even if the baby was born before the application was made.

Someone may correct me if I'm wrong.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:16 pm

Mojohnson wrote:As far as I'm aware you don't even need to deduct the expenses from the figure as it is the gross annual income that needs to reach the minimum requirements - so your £26,000 is well above the requirement.
For self-employment it is the nett amount after allowable business expenses have been deducted.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Mojohnson
Pakistan

Post by Mojohnson » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:37 pm

Sorry . you're right Casa - the figure is the taxable income so is after taking off the expenses.

So the OP is still above the requirements .

Scottgrn
Newly Registered

Post by Scottgrn » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:26 pm

Thank you for your answers, yes this is what I thought it is the net profit they are looking for.
This is a very important calculation for self employed it is VERY unclear, as they mention gross in guidelines which is confusing.

With regards to my wife she has been on a spouse visa for 2 and half years in UK and she is applying for FLR second stage and she will be 4 months pregnant when applying for application.

I am British she is African.

Will the financial threshold be more even though the baby isn't born?

Many thanks
Scott

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:56 pm

Scottgrn wrote:Thank you for your answers, yes this is what I thought it is the net profit they are looking for.
This is a very important calculation for self employed it is VERY unclear, as they mention gross in guidelines which is confusing.

With regards to my wife she has been on a spouse visa for 2 and half years in UK and she is applying for FLR second stage and she will be 4 months pregnant when applying for application.

I am British she is African.

Will the financial threshold be more even though the baby isn't born?

Many thanks
Scott
The baby will be British by birth and so does not increase the threshold. It is only non-British children (basically step-children or children born before UK citizenship) that cause the £18,600 to increase. Plus the child is not born; unborn children are not classed as people and so would never be included in the calculation.

Scottgrn
Newly Registered

Post by Scottgrn » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:00 pm

Thank you.

When paying for the FLR visa application the fees are:

Single applicant (my wife) £811
With 1 dependant (a child) £1622

If she is 4 months pregnant when the application is being made will she be seen as having a dependant??

If you are pregnant do you have to pay more or is it the standard application fee?

There is no information on pregnancy.

Thank you so much
Scott

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:11 pm

physicskate wrote:
the child is not born; unborn children are not classed as people and so would never be included in the calculation.
Your child will be British and thus will not need a dependent visa after being born. British Citizens do not need a visa to live in the UK; non-EEA citizens do. There is no info about pregnancy because you cannot apply for a visa for an unborn person as they are not legally a person until after birth.

Scottgrn
Newly Registered

Post by Scottgrn » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:21 pm

Thank you very much for your help I really appreciate it physicskate.
Have a happy Christmas !
Scott