ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU residence card holder travelling to Britain

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

samar97
Newly Registered

Post by samar97 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:17 am

Hi,

I need some advice on this issue,

I am a non EEA national and currently holding a 5 Years EU residence card as father of an Italian child.

My question is this, can I travel to Britain without getting a visa first like the holders of british residence card do not need a visa when they travel to Europe?

Many thanks

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:42 am

In theory you can if accompanied by your family member. If you travel alone your Italian residence card is worthless.

Your big trouble will be convinicng the airline you won't be deported on arrival. I myself failed that part.

samar97
Newly Registered

Post by samar97 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:50 am

many thanks richard for your reply... I will keep this in mind

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:38 pm

In other words...best to apply for a visa.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:43 am

In other words, just give in and don't do what EU law gives you the right to do, do what the British government would rather you did, just to please them! :D Don't worry about the hassle of going to Rome, have fingerprints taken (and pray you don't bruise you little finger before the date of the appointment, usually two weeks after you apply for it by Internet only, because they won't take your prints and will make you book another appointment) and having to answer an application form that doesn't quite ask you what time you brush your teeth on Friday but almost.

Or do what so many other Italians with non-EU family (that most dangerous category of people) are doing: travel somewhere else in the EU, where you might be more welcome and spend less in the bargain.

Or let the European Commission know about this. I'd vote for this option.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:21 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mym
Member of Standing

Re: EU residence card holder travelling to Britain

Post by mym » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:14 pm

That's a good succinct statement of the current rules.
--
Mark Y-M
London