ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working for a foreign company while applying for Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

runner90
Newly Registered

Working for a foreign company while applying for Citizenship

Post by runner90 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:56 pm

First of all - really glad this forum exists - big thanks to the owner and moderators.

My situation:
- I'm an A8 EU citizen. Applying for PR this month on the basis that I was exercising treaty-rights since May 2011 (was in full time employment, physically located in the UK and working for British companies)
- I want to apply for British Citizenship as soon as I get the PR (PR will be valid since May 2011)
- I recently got an offer to work for a Spanish company (either remotely or in Madrid, starting February 2017). The company doesn't have presence in the UK. The employment contract would be Spanish . I want to take the job but I wonder how it'll affect my UK citizenship application.

I've been reading a lot about the requirements for Citizenship and have the following questions:

Questions:
- Suppose I'm going to get my PR confirmed in July 2017 and I will want to apply for citizenship then. Can the start date of my UK citizenship application be in the past i.e. 1st of May 2017?
- I want to move to Spain just for a couple of months (up to a year) - to learn the language and experience living in Madrid but then definitely come back to the UK. Below are my options, which one do you think puts me in the best position for application to be successful:

1. Stay in the UK and work remotely for the Spanish company till end of April 2017. The citizenship application would show that I've been physically in the UK for past 12 months, still however - would it be a problem that I'm working for a foreign company?

2. Stay in the UK till end of February, then work remotely in March and April. At the time of application date (1st of May 2017), I would have lived outside the UK only for 2 months - however I still have strong ties to the UK (my parents and brother live here, my Spanish boyfriend would stay renting our house, I've done all my studies here) - how's HO going to look at the fact I will have been abroad for 2 months at the time of application?

I'm considering just giving the Spanish job a a miss but it'd be with a regret... offers such as this one do not come around often.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Working for a foreign company while applying for Citizen

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:29 pm

runner90 wrote:Questions:
- Suppose I'm going to get my PR confirmed in July 2017 and I will want to apply for citizenship then. Can the start date of my UK citizenship application be in the past i.e. 1st of May 2017? No. Date of application is the date you submit the application. You have to be in the UK to apply.

- I want to move to Spain just for a couple of months (up to a year) - to learn the language and experience living in Madrid but then definitely come back to the UK. Below are my options, which one do you think puts me in the best position for application to be successful:

1. Stay in the UK and work remotely for the Spanish company till end of April 2017. The citizenship application would show that I've been physically in the UK for past 12 months, still however - would it be a problem that I'm working for a foreign company? Employment is not a requirement, but you have to declare your 'future intentions' and sign the form as true and accurate. Working abroad could cast doubt on your 'future intentions' and a 'boyfriend' and a rental property are not strong enough ties to the UK unfortunately.

2. Stay in the UK till end of February, then work remotely in March and April. At the time of application date (1st of May 2017), I would have lived outside the UK only for 2 months - however I still have strong ties to the UK (my parents and brother live here, my Spanish boyfriend would stay renting our house, I've done all my studies here) - how's HO going to look at the fact I will have been abroad for 2 months at the time of application? You have to be in the UK to apply and the absence in the final 12 months must be 90 days or less.

I'm considering just giving the Spanish job a a miss but it'd be with a regret... offers such as this one do not come around often.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.