ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

AN Form filled by EU National

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Blueinch

AN Form filled by EU National

Post by Blueinch » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:03 pm

Last week I finally received my DCPR, and straight after I went through AN form. AN form seems 3 times shorter and 10 times easier than DCPR application, and I am very keen to send it out as soon as possible. But before I do it, I would like to confirm few things with you, dear immigration experts. Questions based on numbers in AN Form (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 1-2016.pdf):

1.3 I am EEA national, I went through AN Booklet, and unfortunately I haven't found anything useful there. Do I need to fill this point?
1.24 It's asked to provide "father’s name". Is it fair to assume, that they mean "Full name"?
2.4 It's asked to state the number and issue date of "Permanent Residence card". Do they need specifically PR Card details? Do I need to apply for it, if I don't have it, or DCPR can replace it?
3.1-3.5 These questions are about penalties and criminal-related things. Once I was caught for speeding, and I went through the Speed Awareness Course, thus there is no points on my license. Do I need to mention anything about it in any of these points?
6.17 Question about "biometric enrolement". Is it related to EU nationals? Do I need to sign this declaration?
7.5 If I haven't provided a photocopy of my spouse’s or civil partner’s passport, is it fair to assume that I don't need to tick this box?
7.7 Who is this point related to? My best guess, I have to ignore it.

Questions based on Supporting Documents requirements:
1. With my Life In The UK test I used Driving License as an ID. I trust, I have to use it as my evidence of identity to support my AN form too. I was wondering, shall I add my ID card or passport, as an additional support document?
2. In Section 3 they mention "letters from employers, educational establishments" – Would employment contracts and university-related letters count?
3. In Section 4 they mention "Permanent Residence card" again. As I don't have it, can it be replaced by DCPR?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

noajthan

Re: AN Form filled by EU National

Post by noajthan » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:06 am

Blueinch wrote:
1.3 I am EEA national, I went through AN Booklet, and unfortunately I haven't found anything useful there. Do I need to fill this point?
1.24 It's asked to provide "father’s name". Is it fair to assume, that they mean "Full name"?
2.4 It's asked to state the number and issue date of "Permanent Residence card". Do they need specifically PR Card details? Do I need to apply for it, if I don't have it, or DCPR can replace it?
3.1-3.5 These questions are about penalties and criminal-related things. Once I was caught for speeding, and I went through the Speed Awareness Course, thus there is no points on my license. Do I need to mention anything about it in any of these points?
6.17 Question about "biometric enrolement". Is it related to EU nationals? Do I need to sign this declaration?
7.5 If I haven't provided a photocopy of my spouse’s or civil partner’s passport, is it fair to assume that I don't need to tick this box?
7.7 Who is this point related to? My best guess, I have to ignore it.

Questions based on Supporting Documents requirements:
1. With my Life In The UK test I used Driving License as an ID. I trust, I have to use it as my evidence of identity to support my AN form too. I was wondering, shall I add my ID card or passport, as an additional support document?
2. In Section 3 they mention "letters from employers, educational establishments" – Would employment contracts and university-related letters count?
3. In Section 4 they mention "Permanent Residence card" again. As I don't have it, can it be replaced by DCPR?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you.
1.3 skip

1.24 yes

2.4 PR card = DCPR

6.17 yes

7.5 No need if a s.6(1) application

1 Passport helps too.

2 yes

3 see #2.4
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:32 pm

A "PR card" and a "DCPR" are basically the same thing, they are just issued in different formats for EEA citizens and non-EEA citizens.

For your speed awareness course, you can write it in the additional information box, as it is not a conviction. It will have no bearing on the outcome of your application and if anything, it will go some way towards showing the caseworker you are not trying to hide anything.

Blueinch

Post by Blueinch » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:59 pm

Thank you for all the answers!

Few additional questions:

1. In section 5, they are asking to write name and d.o.b. on the back of my photo and then "glue" it in the provided space... Did I get it right? I reckon, if I glue it, they won't see anything written on the back - doesn't seem to make sense.

2. About my employment:
2.1 In AN Form question 1.45, they are asking about my occupation. Which time frame does Home Office look at: the year straight after DCPR acquisition (in my case, 2014) or the current?
2.2 My current employment contract is running out in the end of December. In the same question (1.45), shall I state something like "unemployed/seeking job opportunities"? Or is it better to get back into employment first, and then send AN form with occupation filled with a new employer?

3. About referees:
3.1 Can I use referee, who have recently entered retirement (ex-teacher)?
3.2 Can I use referee, who lived in the UK for many years, but got British citizenship just a couple of years ago?
3.3 Just to double-check, is it absolutely fine, if one of the the referees is the UK resident, but haven't got the citizenship yet?

One again, thank you very much in advance.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:34 am

Blueinch wrote:Thank you for all the answers!

Few additional questions:

1. In section 5, they are asking to write name and d.o.b. on the back of my photo and then "glue" it in the provided space... Did I get it right? I reckon, if I glue it, they won't see anything written on the back - doesn't seem to make sense.That's ok - photo can become detached then it can be matched to application - glue stick is fine

2. About my employment:
2.1 In AN Form question 1.45, they are asking about my occupation. Which time frame does Home Office look at: the year straight after DCPR acquisition (in my case, 2014) or the current?This is your job at time of application.
2.2 My current employment contract is running out in the end of December. In the same question (1.45), shall I state something like "unemployed/seeking job opportunities"? Or is it better to get back into employment first, and then send AN form with occupation filled with a new employer?employment isn't a condition for BC - if unemployed at time if application leave 1.45 blank and explain employment gap in section 1.50

3. About referees:
3.1 Can I use referee, who have recently entered retirement (ex-teacher)? I would say yes.
3.2 Can I use referee, who lived in the UK for many years, but got British citizenship just a couple of years ago? Yes
3.3 Just to double-check, is it absolutely fine, if one of the the referees is the UK resident, but haven't got the citizenship yet? Yes - one of the referee doesn't have to be BC - read form instructions.

One again, thank you very much in advance.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:47 am

1 Its in case it falls off!

2.1 Current

2.2 Doesn't matter

3.2 Doesn't matter

3.3 Professional ref does not have to be BC

Blueinch

Post by Blueinch » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:46 pm

There are few things that seem obvious to me, but I still would like to double-check them with you, dear experts...

On December 2016, I received my DCPR, which states the date of issue "12 Dec 2016". Together with the document, there was a supporting letter stating "Date you acquired permanent residence status: 28 August 2014".

Q1. Is it fair to assume that I can apply for British citizenship straight away, without holding this permanent residence status for the next 12 months until 12 Dec 2017?

In question 2.4 of AN Form, they are asking to put down PR Card number. We already figured out that in my case it has to be DCPR number.

Q2. Where on DCPR is that number located? Is it in the top right corner, starting with "UKF 0123456"?

On Become a British citizen page of gov.uk website, in the requirements list, among the other things they say that I "must usually have spent no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months".

Q3. Is it fair to assume that they are talking about the 12 months period straight after DCPR was acquired (in my case, Aug 2014 - Aug 2015)? Or is it about the most recent 12 months after DCPT was received (Dec 2016 - Dec 2017)?

If all good, I am planning to use NCS. My understanding is that I will have to submit:
1. Filled AN Form
2. Supporting Documents
3. Cash or bank card payment got Naturalization

Q4. Can you please give me a rough idea, of the process I will have to follow in NCS?

I trust at the same place (NCS), I can apply for British passport and Citizenship Ceremony as well.

Q5. Is there a separate form for British Passport and/or Citizenship Ceremony? On gov.uk website I found only an Online application for passport.

I believe, submitting all the necessary documents to NCS is the last step (speaking of filling forms/papers) from my side to become a British Citizen.

Q6. Can you please confirm that?

Thank you very much in advance.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:53 pm

Blueinch wrote: I received my DCPR, which states the date of issue "12 Dec 2016". Together with the document, there was a supporting letter stating "Date you acquired permanent residence status: 28 August 2014".
That is a very useful piece of information and seems to be a change from previous Home Office procedure. Can anybody else getting a DCPR in the past few months confirm that the letter accompanying the DCPR also states the date of acquisition of PR?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:08 pm

some responses from me - others may enlarge on points.
Blueinch wrote:There are few things that seem obvious to me, but I still would like to double-check them with you, dear experts...

On December 2016, I received my DCPR, which states the date of issue "12 Dec 2016". Together with the document, there was a supporting letter stating "Date you acquired permanent residence status: 28 August 2014".

Q1. Is it fair to assume that I can apply for British citizenship straight away, without holding this permanent residence status for the next 12 months until 12 Dec 2017?

In question 2.4 of AN Form, they are asking to put down PR Card number. We already figured out that in my case it has to be DCPR number.

Q2. Where on DCPR is that number located? Is it in the top right corner, starting with "UKF 0123456"?

On Become a British citizen page of gov.uk website, in the requirements list, among the other things they say that I "must usually have spent no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months".

Q3. Is it fair to assume that they are talking about the 12 months period straight after DCPR was acquired (in my case, Aug 2014 - Aug 2015)? Or is it about the most recent 12 months after DCPT was received (Dec 2016 - Dec 2017)? None of the above - this is counting back from your application date. You are not proving PR again.

If all good, I am planning to use NCS. My understanding is that I will have to submit:
1. Filled AN Formyes
2. Supporting Documentsyes
3. Cash or bank card payment got Naturalizationchecque or card only no cash!

Q4. Can you please give me a rough idea, of the process I will have to follow in NCS?

I trust at the same place (NCS), I can apply for British passport and Citizenship Ceremony as well.

Q5. Is there a separate form for British Passport and/or Citizenship Ceremony? On gov.uk website I found only an Online application for passport.passport form from post office - ceremony is arranged by your council, no separate application.

I believe, submitting all the necessary documents to NCS is the last step (speaking of filling forms/papers) from my side to become a British Citizen.

Q6. Can you please confirm that? Not quite - within about two week you will get a request to submit your biometrics, even if you have given them before!

Thank you very much in advance.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:33 pm

1) Yes.
Its about having the PR status for 12 months not holding a merely confirmatory card for 12 months.

DCPR = Document certifying Permanent Residence

2) Naturalisation is not an action replay of PR application.
Forget about PR now.
Make sure you refer to AN guidance vis a vis requirements and supporting evidence.

Dates are (usually) relative to date of application.
If applying via NCS: date of application = date of interview.

LaLeLu85
Newly Registered

Post by LaLeLu85 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:34 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Blueinch wrote: I received my DCPR, which states the date of issue "12 Dec 2016". Together with the document, there was a supporting letter stating "Date you acquired permanent residence status: 28 August 2014".
That is a very useful piece of information and seems to be a change from previous Home Office procedure. Can anybody else getting a DCPR in the past few months confirm that the letter accompanying the DCPR also states the date of acquisition of PR?
I got my card in October without the letter stating the date. Name was wrong though so had to send it back - received the new card in early December, this time with a letter (which was extremely handy). Mind you, the date didn't make sense (a couple I felt months too early) but never mind.

Blueinch

Post by Blueinch » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:30 pm

Thank you all for input.

So far I have understood that nevertheless, DCPR was received the last month, the actual status was acquired back in 2014, and that's what matters for my current naturalization process. Considering that, I trust, AN form can be passed to NCS as soon as it gets completed. Is right?

By the way, what is the purpose of NCS, other than taking documents and sending them to Immigration department? Would they confirm, if everything is fine with the form and supporting documents? And if they accept all the documents, would it literally mean that I am 99% fine to get BC?
alterhase58 wrote:some responses from me - others may enlarge on points.
Blueinch wrote: On Become a British citizen page of gov.uk website, in the requirements list, among the other things they say that I "must usually have spent no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months".

Q3. Is it fair to assume that they are talking about the 12 months period straight after DCPR was acquired (in my case, Aug 2014 - Aug 2015)? Or is it about the most recent 12 months after DCPT was received (Dec 2016 - Dec 2017)? None of the above - this is counting back from your application date. You are not proving PR again.
Can you please confirm, if we are talking about "application" for naturalization? If yes, does it mean that I shouldn't go outside of the UK for more than 90 days in 12 months period after AN Form gets accepted by NCS?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:37 pm

NCS are just an agent and filing the application only means its been filed.
They may filter out gross errors but are in no way part of the application decision-making process.
No guarantees.

Yes, you can travel after submission but do stick around in case of follow up questions - oh, and to enrol your biometrics.

Blueinch

Post by Blueinch » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:16 pm

noajthan wrote: Yes, you can travel after submission but do stick around in case of follow up questions - oh, and to enrol your biometrics.
Thank you for the answer. Traveling is not my main target in the following months. I am more concerned about this requirement: "spent no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months" (https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen). Are they talking about the future or the past 12 months?

In 2016, March till August, I studied abroad. It is more than 90 days outside the UK, if we take the past 12 months. Does it affect the above mentioned requirement?

Thank you.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:30 pm

Blueinch wrote:
noajthan wrote: Yes, you can travel after submission but do stick around in case of follow up questions - oh, and to enrol your biometrics.
Thank you for the answer. Traveling is not my main target in the following months. I am more concerned about this requirement: "spent no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months" (https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen). Are they talking about the future or the past 12 months?

In 2016, March till August, I studied abroad. It is more than 90 days outside the UK, if we take the past 12 months. Does it affect the above mentioned requirement?

Thank you.
Its the last 12 months before date of application.
No more than 90 days out in those 12 months.

You must be the son of the family that your father was posting about previously.
You will see in past posts on your case that I was repeatedly urging him to get you back from China or wherever it was; this was to help you to comply with the two sets of differing PR and naturalisation requirements.

Blueinch

Post by Blueinch » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:48 pm

noajthan wrote: Its the last 12 months before date of application.
No more than 90 days out in those 12 months.

You must be the son of the family that your father was posting about previously.
You will see in past posts on your case that I was repeatedly urging him to get you back from China or wherever it was; this was to help you to comply with the two sets of differing PR and naturalisation requirements.
Yes, you are right, that's the youngest member of the family is sorting out his BC at the moment.

By any chance, are you aware of any successful cases of anybody sending application away with over 90 days out of the UK in the last 12 month?

Are there any exceptions to that requirement? E.g. I was studying and can provide certificates, etc.

On the website they say "you must usually have spent no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months". Seems there is a room for exceptions.

Thank you.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:09 pm

Blueinch wrote:On the website they say "you must usually have spent no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months". Seems there is a room for exceptions.

Thank you.
There is discretion.
The AN guide covers it quite well. (Website should not be relied upon, its just edited highlights).

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:05 pm

secret.simon wrote:
That is excellent, amazing it's taken them so long to do this simple step!

Blueinch

Post by Blueinch » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:21 pm

noajthan wrote:
Blueinch wrote:On the website they say "you must usually have spent no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months". Seems there is a room for exceptions.

Thank you.
There is discretion.
The AN guide covers it quite well. (Website should not be relied upon, its just edited highlights).
Looks like I can have 101-179 days outside the UK 12 months prior application... AN Booklet (p.9) states that:

"Total number of absences normally disregarded only if all other requirements are met and:

a) you have demonstrated links with the UK through presence of family, and established home and substantial part of your estate."

Few questions on the above quote:
1. In the first part, where they talk about "all other requirements", do they mean legal and residence requirements mentioned on pages 4-5 (AN Booklet)? E.g. my age has to be 18+, Life In The UK certificate, etc...
2. What do they mean by "presence of family" and "established home and substantial part of your estate"? Was it already assessed as a part of DCPR application process? Shall I provide any additional evidence with my Application for Naturalization?

Personally I am single, thus no own family. However, my mother lives in the UK, which can be considered as family - right? We have been here permanently since 2008. Hopefully, I am on a safe side...

Looking forward for some feedback, please.

Thank you.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:29 pm

Blueinch wrote:
noajthan wrote:

Thank you.
There is discretion.
Looks like I can have 101-179 days outside the UK 12 months prior application... AN Booklet (p.9) states that:

"Total number of absences normally disregarded only if all other requirements are met and:

a) you have demonstrated links with the UK through presence of family, and established home and substantial part of your estate."

Few questions on the above quote:
1. In the first part, where they talk about "all other requirements", do they mean legal and residence requirements mentioned on pages 4-5 (AN Booklet)? E.g. my age has to be 18+, Life In The UK certificate, etc...
2. What do they mean by "presence of family" and "established home and substantial part of your estate"? Was it already assessed as a part of DCPR application process? Shall I provide any additional evidence with my Application for Naturalization?

Personally I am single, thus no own family. However, my mother lives in the UK, which can be considered as family - right? We have been here permanently since 2008. Hopefully, I am on a safe side...

Looking forward for some feedback, please.

Thank you.
1) Yes

2) No, its not been assessed as part of DCPR application.
There is no connection between naturalisation and PR requirements: different law, different framework - all serving different purposes.

"presence of family" - your family, perhaps: spouse, parents, siblings.

"established home and substantial part of your estate" - your stuff;
Could include:
  • house, land, property;
    business and/or business interests;
    major assets;
etc etc

Whatever it is that ties you to UK.
In other words the more credible and tangible the ties, the more you can show your future lies in UK, then the more chance of discretion being applied.

Blueinch

Post by Blueinch » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:15 pm

Just had a chat with Home Office on my case regarding the amount of days (150) outside of the UK within 12 months prior Naturalization application...

Long story short, if I want to send my application out asap, with 150 days out of the UK in the last 12 months, then I need to attach as much evidence as possible to prove that I have had strong links with the UK. Lady I was speaking with was not very specific on the types of evidence I have to provide. She said "it's down to you to decide, which evidence to send". Then it will be down to a case worker. In the worst case I will lose the fee...

To be on a safe side, I should wait until I meet the 90-100 days limit.

Dilemma :)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:24 pm

This chimes with the AN guidance.

Dealing with HO certainly confirms you are 'alive' doesn't it.

Blueinch

Post by Blueinch » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:24 pm

noajthan wrote:This chimes with the AN guidance.

Dealing with HO certainly confirms you are 'alive' doesn't it.
I was certainly expecting more specific advises from HO staff... Before the call I sent a text version of the same questions to their email address, so maybe something useful comes out of that communication channel. Really don't want to risk £1,200+ without having at least some kind of reassurance.

In the worst case, I will wait until May :)

On a separate note, two questions to double-check other things:
1. Am I right to think that Life in the UK doesn't expire?
2. Am I right to think that holding Document Certifying Permanent Residence I am on a safe side in relation to my rights of staying and working in the UK after Brexit goes in full swing?

Thank you.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:29 am

Blueinch wrote: On a separate note, two questions to double-check other things:
1. Am I right to think that Life in the UK doesn't expire? Correct
2. Am I right to think that holding Document Certifying Permanent Residence I am on a safe side in relation to my rights of staying and working in the UK after Brexit goes in full swing?No changes to the regulations have been enacted, Article 50 has yet to be triggered, expected 31.3.2017. No one knows what the rules will be once UK has left the EU - though one should hope that rights gained in the past will not be changed retropectively.

Thank you.

Blueinch

Post by Blueinch » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:01 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Blueinch wrote: 2. Am I right to think that holding Document Certifying Permanent Residence I am on a safe side in relation to my rights of staying and working in the UK after Brexit goes in full swing?No changes to the regulations have been enacted, Article 50 has yet to be triggered, expected 31.3.2017. No one knows what the rules will be once UK has left the EU - though one should hope that rights gained in the past will not be changed retropectively.
I believe, whatever changes come after Article 50 get triggered, can affect those EU citizens, who have have no evidence of their status in the UK (e.g. DCPR).