ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non EEA citizen marrying non EEA citizen

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

psuch2
Brazil

Non EEA citizen marrying non EEA citizen

Post by psuch2 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:47 am

Hello everyone.
I am a non Eea citizen and currently going through a divorce, followed by an PR application based on my retention rights of residence.
I have a solicitor looking after my case.
I am in a relationship with another non eea citizen. She still resides in her home country, and I visit as often as possible.
The natural next step for our relationship is of course for us to be together. So presuming my application goes as planed and I am granted PR, how would I go agout bringing my girlfriend over to the UK?
No Matter How Long Winter Is, There's Always Spring Time Ahead

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Non EEA citizen marrying non EEA citizen

Post by ohara » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:18 am

There is no boyfriend/girlfriend visa. Your options are pretty much:

get engaged/married and apply for spouse visa
partner applies for Tier1/Tier2/Tier4 visa in her own right.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:34 am

I addition to ohara's advice, bear in mind that you will only be able to apply for a fiance or spouse visa under the UK Immigration Rules.

Apart from the high visa fees and NHS surcharge, you will also have to show that you have an annual income of at least £18,600 or hold savings of £62,500 in an accessible account for a minimum of 6 months.

You're aware that you need to complete a full 5 years of residence before qualifying for PR :?:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:01 am

In other words, as non EEA you cannot sponsor family members on EU route.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

psuch2
Brazil

Post by psuch2 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:58 am

Thank you for you our replies.
I have hold my RC for four and a half years. So correct me if I'm wrong, the PR application can be done six months before the RC runs out.
I am fortunate to earn more than the £18600, so I believe it shouldn't be a problem there.
The time scale we have in mind if for us to marry early 2018c in her home country.
So from you said I will then have to apply for her visa according to UK rules.
Would it make it easier if I apply for citizenship before we get married and relocate her here?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:04 am

You need to have completed a full 5 year period of residence for PR. There's no option to apply 6 months early.

There's no advantage in waiting until you are granted BC as the requirements for a fiance or spouse visa are the same.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

psuch2
Brazil

Post by psuch2 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:30 am

Casa wrote:You need to have completed a full 5 year period of residence for PR. There's no option to apply 6 months early.

There's no advantage in waiting until you are granted BC as the requirements for a fiance or spouse visa are the same.
Thank you
Would we still be able to apply for a fiance/spouse visa if I am granted another RC instead of PR?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:32 am

psuch2 wrote:
Casa wrote:You need to have completed a full 5 year period of residence for PR. There's no option to apply 6 months early.

Thank you
Would we still be able to apply for a fiance/spouse visa if I am granted another RC instead of PR?
No, as you won't have settled status.
(Casa, not CR001)

psuch2
Brazil

Post by psuch2 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:26 pm

Casa wrote:
psuch2 wrote:

Thank you
No, as you won't have settled status.
Thank you!

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:21 pm

psuch2 wrote:Would we still be able to apply for a fiance/spouse visa if I am granted another RC instead of PR?
Interesting academic question.

Can a non-EEA citizen on an RC based on RoR sponsor anybody as a spouse? I don't think so, though an approach under Article 8 and FLR(FP) 10 year route may be possible. Comments and thoughts from others welcome.

To the OP: PR followed by sponsorship of your new spouse under the UK Immigration Route is most likely the fastest way to get them to join you here.

From the viewpoint of sponsorship under the UK Immigration Rules, people on ILR and PR are treated on par with British citizens as regards sponsoring non-EEA spouses. So, no benefit from (but also no issues with) gaining British citizenship.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:29 pm

secret.simon wrote:
psuch2 wrote:Would we still be able to apply for a fiance/spouse visa if I am granted another RC instead of PR?
Interesting academic question.

Can a non-EEA citizen on an RC based on RoR sponsor anybody as a spouse? I don't think so, though an approach under Article 8 and FLR(FP) 10 year route may be possible. Comments and thoughts from others welcome.

To the OP: PR followed by sponsorship of your new spouse under the UK Immigration Route is most likely the fastest way to get them to join you here.

From the viewpoint of sponsorship under the UK Immigration Rules, people on ILR and PR are treated on par with British citizens as regards sponsoring non-EEA spouses. So, no benefit from (but also no issues with) gaining British citizenship.
An Article 8 or FLR(FP) application wouldn't be appropriate in this case as the fiancee is living outside of the UK and has to apply for an entry visa.
(Casa, not CR001)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:34 pm

secret.simon wrote:Can a non-EEA citizen on an RC based on RoR sponsor anybody as a spouse?
My question was answered while researching a different issue.
Page 6 of the [url=https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/488451/Retained_Rights_v2.0_ext_clean.pdf]Family members of European Economic Area (EEA) nationals who have retained the right of residence[/url] wrote: The Free Movement of Persons Directive 2004/38/EC(‘the Directive’)states at paragraph 15 of the preamble that family members who have a retained right of residence do so ‘exclusively on a personal basis’.This means that they cannot be the sponsor for another family member.

For example,if a non-EEA national with a retained right of residence gets married to another non-EEA national, her new husband will not have any rights under the regulations. Her new husband would only be able to enter or remain in the UK if he qualifies under the Immigration Rules.
To the OP: That means that you must obtain PR in order to sponsor your new non-EEA spouse and that would have to be under the UK Immigration Rules.
Last edited by secret.simon on Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:37 pm

secret.simon wrote:
secret.simon wrote:Can a non-EEA citizen on an RC based on RoR sponsor anybody as a spouse?
My question was answered while researching a different issue.
Page 6 of the [url=https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/488451/Retained_Rights_v2.0_ext_clean.pdf]Family members of European Economic Area (EEA) nationals who have retained the right of residence[/url] wrote: The Free Movement of Persons Directive 2004/38/EC(‘the Directive’)states at paragraph 15 of the preamble that family members who have a retained right of residence do so ‘exclusively on a personal basis’.This means that they cannot be the sponsor for another family member.

For example,if a non-EEA national with a retained right of residence gets married to another non-EEA national, her new husband will not have any rights under the regulations. Her new husband would only be able to enter or remain in the UK if he qualifies under the Immigration Rules.
To the OP: That means that you must obtain PR in order to sponsor your new non-EEA spouse and that mill have to be under the UK Immigration Rules.
I was correct then. :wink:
(Casa, not CR001)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:42 pm

Casa wrote:I was correct then.
Oh absolutely, Casa. I was just engaging in some abstract "blue sky" thinking. :D

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:53 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Oh absolutely, Casa. I was just engaging in some abstract "blue sky" thinking. :D
In all honesty, it certainly helps to have some official supporting guidance. :idea: As noajthan would no doubt say, "belt & braces"
(Casa, not CR001)

psuch2
Brazil

Post by psuch2 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:51 pm

Thank you very much. Some very good advice once again.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:49 pm

Casa wrote:
secret.simon wrote:
In all honesty, it certainly helps to have some official supporting guidance. :idea: As noajthan would no doubt say, "belt & braces"
Hmm, or I may have asked why give HO 'wriggle room'.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

psuch2
Brazil

Post by psuch2 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:52 pm

Just another question. Would I still need to wait another 5 yrs to apply for PR if I receive an RC based on ROR, even though I held an RC for almost 5 years already?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:19 pm

psuch2 wrote:Would I still need to wait another 5 yrs to apply for PR if I receive an RC based on ROR, even though I held an RC for almost 5 years already?
You need to have spent five continuous years under any category of the EEA Regulations (so, either as the family member of an EEA citizen or as a person holding RoR) to acquire PR automatically. Time spent under different categories can be aggregated, so long as they are continuous.