ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Driving Licence not returned

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hamalt66
Member of Standing

Driving Licence not returned

Post by hamalt66 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:10 pm

I am a bit puzzled here... when my original documents from refused first extension application were returned after I submitted a fresh application, home office retained my passports, but also kept my driving license (DL). Do they usually keep DLs as well when an application was refused, or is this unusual? Should I contact home office and ask for my DL to be sent to me? Has any one else experienced this?

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Driving Licence not returned

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:18 pm

They may not return your Driving Licence if your application is refused.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Dangerous Dragon

Post by Dangerous Dragon » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:22 pm

Hi Hamalt66,

Better conform with UKVI , send them email , they should reply you if they kept your DL.
hamalt66 wrote:I am a bit puzzled here... when my original documents from refused first extension application were returned after I submitted a fresh application, home office retained my passports, but also kept my driving license (DL). Do they usually keep DLs as well when an application was refused, or is this unusual? Should I contact home office and ask for my DL to be sent to me? Has any one else experienced this?

hamalt66
Member of Standing

Post by hamalt66 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:26 pm

Casa wrote:They may not return your Driving Licence if your application is refused.
Why is that? I thought Home Office only retain passports! I wonder if other applicants who had their original docs sent to them also had their DL retained as well!!?

hamalt66
Member of Standing

Post by hamalt66 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:27 pm

Dangerous Dragon wrote:Hi Hamalt66,

Better conform with UKVI , send them email , they should reply you if they kept your DL.
Perhaps, I should give them a call tomorrow!!! :(

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:36 pm

Under relatively new legislation your Driving Licence can be retained by the Home Office and revoked by the DVLA.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:37 pm

hamalt66 wrote:I am a bit puzzled here... when my original documents from refused first extension application were returned after I submitted a fresh application, home office retained my passports, but also kept my driving license (DL). Do they usually keep DLs as well when an application was refused, or is this unusual? Should I contact home office and ask for my DL to be sent to me? Has any one else experienced this?
Since Immigration Act 2014 came into force, the HO has the power to ask DVLA to revoke driving licenses of migrants who have no right to be here or are illegally living here. Unless you manage to extend your stay, there is a chance that your driving license will be revoked.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

hamalt66
Member of Standing

Post by hamalt66 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:41 pm

Oh dear!!! I am currently awaiting decision for my fresh application, will the home office contact DVLA after first application decision or will they wait for my second application's result? Can anyone who got their extension from second (fresh) application confirm this?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:47 pm

hamalt66 wrote:Oh dear!!! I am currently awaiting decision for my fresh application, will the home office contact DVLA after first application decision or will they wait for my second application's result? Can anyone who got their extension from second (fresh) application confirm this?
I have read in some reports that HO will be cautious in the revocation process, so maybe they wait until they are certain that you will not have any options to be here at all before telling DVLA. You should be able to sort this out after you get your visa sorted. Even if they revoke it, you can get a the driving license re-issued if your visa is sorted by paying a small fee to DVLA.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

hamalt66
Member of Standing

Post by hamalt66 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:51 pm

zimba88 wrote:
hamalt66 wrote:Oh dear!!! I am currently awaiting decision for my fresh application, will the home office contact DVLA after first application decision or will they wait for my second application's result? Can anyone who got their extension from second (fresh) application confirm this?
I have read in some reports that HO will be cautious in the revocation process, so maybe they wait until they are certain that you will not have any options to be here at all before telling DVLA. You should be able to sort this out after you get your visa sorted. Even if they revoke it, you can get a the driving license re-issued if your visa is sorted by paying a small fee to DVLA.
Oh ok that's good to know.

seasky
BANNED
United Kingdom

Post by seasky » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:23 pm

Why do u have to submit DL in anything related to tier1 ent??

hamalt66
Member of Standing

Post by hamalt66 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:49 pm

seasky wrote:Why do u have to submit DL in anything related to tier1 ent??
The application form has it in the table of list of submitted documents at the end along with marriage certificate, police registeration and birth certificates (see attached), so I submitted it as I thought it was needed. Perhabs I shouldn't have!
Attachments
2017-01-02 17.02.45.jpg
2017-01-02 17.02.45.jpg (33.5 KiB) Viewed 1183 times

Momi
United Kingdom

Post by Momi » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:22 am

hamalt66 wrote:
The application form has it in the table of list of submitted documents at the end along with marriage certificate, police registeration and birth certificates (see attached), so I submitted it as I thought it was needed. Perhabs I shouldn't have!
There wasn't any requirement to send driving licence. Only requirement was passport and brp. 1st contact home office and if they confirm they kept it then you don't need to do anything. Otherwise contact dvla and they will issue a new driving licence,

Why your visa was refused?

hamalt66
Member of Standing

Post by hamalt66 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:26 am

Momi wrote:
hamalt66 wrote:
There wasn't any requirement to send driving licence. Only requirement was passport and brp. 1st contact home office and if they confirm they kept it then you don't need to do anything. Otherwise contact dvla and they will issue a new driving licence,

Why your visa was refused?
The driving licence is listed in the application form along with other documents they listed, so naturally I sent it too. See attached screenshot above.

For my first extention refusal, please check my thread here: http://www.immigrationboards.com/uk-tie ... 21944.html

Momi
United Kingdom

Post by Momi » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:51 am

As I said before there is no such requirement. Let's suppose there is requirement then you should have sent brith certificate, marriage certificate and police certificate as well.
Can you confirm you sent all of these?

hamalt66
Member of Standing

Post by hamalt66 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:58 am

Momi wrote:As I said before there is no such requirement. Let's suppose there is requirement then you should have sent brith certificate, marriage certificate and police certificate as well.
Can you confirm you sent all of these?
Yes I did send all those and they returned them except for the DL and passports which they retained, presumably untill a decision was made for my fresh application.

seasky
BANNED
United Kingdom

Post by seasky » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:59 am

There was no such requirement when I did my extension in 2015.

How are you supposed to drive during extension period??

It says Marriage certificate, what if you are not married?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:00 am

The clue is in the sentence 'This is a standard list. You should only send in the documents which are required for your application. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:00 am

The clue is in the sentence 'This is a standard list. You should only send in the documents which are required for your application. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)

hamalt66
Member of Standing

Post by hamalt66 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:04 am

seasky wrote:There was no such requirement when I did my extension in 2015.

How are you supposed to drive during extension period??

It says Marriage certificate, what if you are not married?
My wife and children are my dependents who are applying for extension as well, so naturally I thought I needed to send our marriage certificate. Obviously, if you're not married then you won't be sending it.

Meesha

Post by Meesha » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:31 am

I am wondering if you really need to send birth certificates and marriage certificate with extension. I believe if they are already your dependents in previous visa, there is no need to send these documents again. Please correct me if i am wrong.

hamalt66
Member of Standing

Post by hamalt66 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:01 am

Casa wrote:The clue is in the sentence 'This is a standard list. You should only send in the documents which are required for your application. :idea:
Yes you're right, I guess I shouldn't have submitted it anyway. Hopefully I get my extension this time and I get my license back. Thank you all for your feedback and comments.