ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship English Requirement

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shriakhilesh

British Citizenship English Requirement

Post by shriakhilesh » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:43 pm

Hi,

I am applying for British Citizenship though Tier 2 --> ILR route. To fulfill English language requirement I have always used my Degree taught in English (in India). During ILR (June 2015) I used the same degree and gave reference that this has been used in previous visa extensions as well.

Now If I apply in Jan 2017, Can I use the same degree or do I need to get this verified by UK Naric even if it has been used before for previous UK Visa extension and ILR ?

2) Also I need 2 referees for the Application. 1 can be a British Citizen which is fine. For the other does this mandatorly have to be a solicitor, will any solicitor easily do this for me ?

3) For Residence proof, are my Indian Passport stamps enough. Do I need any other proof from work or a letter specifying days I was out of UK ?

Cheers

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Citizenship English Requirement

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:01 pm

shriakhilesh wrote:Hi,

I am applying for British Citizenship though Tier 2 --> ILR route. To fulfill English language requirement I have always used my Degree taught in English (in India). During ILR (June 2015) I used the same degree and gave reference that this has been used in previous visa extensions as well.

Now If I apply in Jan 2017, Can I use the same degree or do I need to get this verified by UK Naric even if it has been used before for previous UK Visa extension and ILR ? Tick the box on the form that says you met the requirement for ILR after 28th October 2013.

2) Also I need 2 referees for the Application. 1 can be a British Citizen which is fine. For the other does this mandatorly have to be a solicitor, will any solicitor easily do this for me ? The form and guidance DOES NOT state that it must be a solicitor. Where exactly have you read this to assume it is so? Your second referee MUST be a professional per the list of HO approved referees. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ersons.pdf

3) For Residence proof, are my Indian Passport stamps enough. Do I need any other proof from work or a letter specifying days I was out of UK ? Passports for the whole qualifying period is sufficient.

Cheers
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shriakhilesh

Post by shriakhilesh » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:02 pm

Thanks so I can tick form that says 'you met the requirement for ILR after 28th October 2013' and provide my degree certificate as the proof.

Can you tell me pros and cons of Individual application vs NCS +passport service at local council.

Is it true that if I go with NCS service they will return my original documents after checking on the appointment date ?

What is the current processing time for NCS in Redbridge council Greater London ?

cafemoonrock
Newly Registered

Post by cafemoonrock » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:20 pm

In my opinion, the only con when it comes to NCS is that it would cost you money.

The NCS service would check your application to make sure you have entered everything and also check that you have all the required documents to support your application. Considering it costs a lot of money for Naturalisation, it makes sense to pay just a little bit more (I think it's £50-£60) towards NCS for your peace of mind. Again, this is my opinion.

Yes, your original documents (passport/BRP/others) are photocopied and verified by the council. The originals are returned to you the same day.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:42 pm

shriakhilesh wrote:Thanks so I can tick form that says 'you met the requirement for ILR after 28th October 2013' and provide my degree certificate as the proof.

Can you tell me pros and cons of Individual application vs NCS +passport service at local council. You can only apply through NCS for the joint citizenship and passport scheme. You cannot do this joint scheme if you apply by post. If you apply by post, you MUST send ALL your original documents and you only get them back shortly before or after approval, which can take many months.

Is it true that if I go with NCS service they will return my original documents after checking on the appointment date ? Yes

What is the current processing time for NCS in Redbridge council Greater London ? Suggest phone them yourself.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shriakhilesh

Post by shriakhilesh » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:06 am

Thanks. I called Redbridge council NCS service, they said they can't give any processing times. It is with Home office and they just check the documents.

Redbridge council does Citizenship and passport check service. While filling the passport form online, it asks for naturalisation details which I obviously don't have at this point. What should I fill here ?? Should I online print the form and take it for the NCS service appointment or should I take a form from Post office and fill and take it there OR I don't need to fill passport form at this point for NCS appointment and my passport details will be taken from Citizenship form ??

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:57 am

shriakhilesh wrote:Redbridge council does Citizenship and passport check service. While filling the passport form online, it asks for naturalisation details which I obviously don't have at this point. What should I fill here ?? Should I online print the form and take it for the NCS service appointment or should I take a form from Post office and fill and take it there OR I don't need to fill passport form at this point for NCS appointment and my passport details will be taken from Citizenship form ??
You cannot apply using the joint scheme by completing the online passport form. You must complete the paper form.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

shriakhilesh

Post by shriakhilesh » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:11 am

Thanks. OK so I will take the passport form from post office, fill it and take it along with the filled naturalization form for NCS appointment. Is the passport form free in post office ?

Also in the naturalization form, it asks for "1.49 Address of tax office or tax office reference", where do I get this from ?? I have already provided address of employer as part of the previous question.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:17 am

shriakhilesh wrote:Thanks. OK so I will take the passport form from post office, fill it and take it along with the filled naturalization form for NCS appointment. Is the passport form free in post office ? Yes! The passport fee leaflet is also in the same envelope at the back of the guidance booklet, so don't throw it away.

Also in the naturalization form, it asks for "1.49 Address of tax office or tax office reference", where do I get this from ?? I have already provided address of employer as part of the previous question. From your P60 or ask HR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

shriakhilesh

Post by shriakhilesh » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:37 am

Thanks.

Is tax office reference same as Employer PAYE reference (I see this in my P60) ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:58 am

Yes
Char (CR001 not Casa)

shriakhilesh

Post by shriakhilesh » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:55 am

Thanks for your help so far.

I have booked an NCS appointment and I am completing the form : https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 1-2016.pdf

few questions :

1. I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after
28th October 2013; --

From the Requirements booklet : "If you met the requirement to have sufficient knowledge of language and life in the UK when
you applied for settlement [b][u][color=#BF0000]by having a B1 level test[/color][/u][/b] you do not have to demonstrate it
again. (People who applied for settlement on or after 28 October 2013 needed to have had
a B1 level qualification.)"

-- I did not prrove this by a B1 Test. I just sent my degree certificate and point based calculator sheet showing the university name and degree in March 2015. Is showing same degree enough or do I need UK Naric certificate ?

2. I don't remember the dates when my last Biometric details were taken in the post office (for ILR). Is a rough date OK here ?

3. I don't see that we need to send photos for citizenship. Are photos only required for passport application ??

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:46 am

1. Just tick the box that you met the requirement etc. If HO requires proof, they will write to you.

2. Month/year should be fine.

3. Read the form and guidance again. Photos are required and there is a specific place that they need to be in the form.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

shriakhilesh

Post by shriakhilesh » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:25 pm

I think this is the last question, thanks for being such a big help until now.

I have booked NCS appointment for naturalisation and passport check service. I have filled the passport form whihc I collected from Post office. Only Question is :

1. The passport form ask for Naturalisation Number which I obviously don't have. If I go to the NCS appointment, how do I fill this? I will get the the Naturalisation number only when my application is approved, so shall I leave this question blank ??

shriakhilesh

Post by shriakhilesh » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:25 pm

I think this is the last question, thanks for being such a big help until now.

I have booked NCS appointment for naturalisation and passport check service. I have filled the passport form which I collected from Post office. Only Question is :

1. The passport form asks for Naturalisation Number which I obviously don't have. If I go to the NCS appointment, how do I fill this? I will get the the Naturalisation number only when my application is approved, so shall I leave this question blank ??

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:31 pm

Leave it blank.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

shriakhilesh

Post by shriakhilesh » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:33 pm

I have booked the appointment for 31 Jan. The appointment confirmation email said that that the passport service fee and passport fee will be collected during appointment. It did not say anything about Citizenship fee. Can you confirm that the citizenship fee £1246 will be collected during the appointment ? Just wanted to confirm that I dont need to pay fee somewhere beforehand ..

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:38 pm

You will have to provide the completed pay slip (with card number or cheque) for the AN fee which is currently £1236.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... plications
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

shriakhilesh

Post by shriakhilesh » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:00 pm

Ahh right. Wasn't knowing about this payment slip.

So I'll take fill the payment details (card details) in the payment slip and hand it over during my appointment.

Shall I fill in the 1234 + 44 for naturalisation ? or just 1234 and £44 appointment fee will be taken separately.

For passport also should I take another copy of this payment sheet ?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:10 pm

Payment slip for £1236 only - this is the fee for naturalisation.

Passport: fill in payment section at back of PP application booklet - fee for pp only.

NCS fee you settle separately with council - normally it's payable when you make the appointment.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.