ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting UK mobile phone number from US

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

UStoUK
Newly Registered

Getting UK mobile phone number from US

Post by UStoUK » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:57 pm

Hello,
I just obtained EC from Los Angeles, CA USA, now I'm trying to get a job or at least some interviews lined up when I get to UK. From this forum, I noticed that getting UK job without being physically in UK is very difficult but I would like to give a try.
I figure it would be better to put UK phone number in my CV, so any interested recruitor can call me UK local number instead of international call. I found following website thru google,

http://www.britishsims.com/

It looks like I can get unlocked GSM phone and SIM card just over $70.00. Has anyone used this website? Or anyone has information about better/similar but reliable UK mobile phone vendor in US?

BTW, I am in IT sector (Java/J2EE), in case if you wonder what type of job I'm looking for.

Thanks so much.

gotcha
Member of Standing

Re: Getting UK mobile phone number from US

Post by gotcha » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:10 pm

UStoUK wrote:Hello,
I figure it would be better to put UK phone number in my CV, so any interested recruitor can call me UK local number instead of international call. I found following website thru google,
Actually, it does not matter, if you mention your US number. I use to get lot of calls on my country's number.

You need to show that you are ready to come to UK , once 4-5 interviews are lined up.

Recruiters will call you anywhere, because , there is possibility of earning money from it.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:29 pm

Do you know how cheap it is to phone from the UK to the US these days? Basically it costs nothing, or just a very low monetary amount.

Indeed, very strangely, it might even cost more to phone from the UK to a UK mobile number, than to a US landline or mobile number.

So I say, don't bother to use that service. Absolutely not worth it.
John

UStoUK
Newly Registered

Post by UStoUK » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:07 pm

Hmm... calling UK to US is that cheap? Well, how about this case. My target moving date to UK is around April. I think I still need to have GSM phone and SIM once I get to UK anyway. So I thought if I buy it now, I don't have to buy it later, and beside I can use the phone as soon as I arrive to London. I'm interested in T-mobile SIM card. Is it unnecesary?

Also, I uploaded my resume in monster with US phone number, I'm getting on average 5 phone calls from US recruiters even though I clearly mentioned London, UK as target location. I thought with UK phone number, I could avoid those unnecesary phone calls.

BTW, I have nothing to do with the service I mentioned above.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:04 pm

Hmm... calling UK to US is that cheap?
Yes, for example, using the VoIP service that we use in this house, cost of calls to USA, either landlines or mobiles, is 0p per minute! Don't think you would get anything cheaper than that!

But cheapest calls for us to UK mobiles is 6p per minute!
I think I still need to have GSM phone and SIM once I get to UK anyway. So I thought if I buy it now, I don't have to buy it later, and beside I can use the phone as soon as I arrive to London. I'm interested in T-mobile SIM card. Is it unnecesary?
No, not unnecessary, just don't use an argument that giving a UK mobile number is going to encourage UK recruiters to phone more.
John

UStoUK
Newly Registered

Post by UStoUK » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:21 am

John, what's your problem? I asked a question nicely, you answered like shit.
If you think recruiting company will use VoIP to make a international call, YOU ARE DEAD WRONG!!!! EVEN YOUR GRANDMA CAN RUN FASTER THAN VoIP, especially with slow internet bandwidth of UK.

An advice for you.
As a moderator of this wonderful website, SHOW SOME DAMN RESPECT TO MEMBERS OR JUST DON'T ANSWER OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rrst_101

Post by rrst_101 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:04 am

Hi UStoUK,
You are right when u say, UK recruiters call mostly UK numbers. You have a option of using skype. Here all u need is to install skype on ur laptop and then buy a UK number. For UK recruiters , it will be a local call and u need to receive calls from ur laptop. I have used this facility and the line is very clear, there are no delays.Follow this link :

https://secure.skype.com/store/member/l ... n_required

P.S : I dont gain anything from skype for this information.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:39 am

John, what's your problem? I asked a question nicely, you answered like shit.
Ah, something tells me you simply didn't like the answer!

Of course VoIP might not be used, but the point is that the cost of phoning the US from the UK is now minimal, and could well be higher than the cost of phoning a UK mobile. Strange but true!

Simply don't think that the UK-based recruitment agent will think "I'm not phoning a US number, I would prefer to phone a UK one.". That is all.
John

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:30 am

Try these websites for a UK sim number, make sure it says its 44 or it is for a different country: From http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones ... ming-calls.
"Global Sims cost £15 - £30 to buy, and all have similar call costs but varying credit.
Cheapest global Sim. Storytelecom wins as it's £25 card gives £25 call credit, yet it's still relatively new so there's no service feedback yet.
Tried and tested. Sim4Travel* costs £30 but only gives £10 call credit.
Lasting credit. There are others too like OneRoam* at £15 with £3.50 call credit, with the advantage that here your credit doesn't expire.
If using your global Sim card for the same few countries, check the rates per minute, as sometimes better rates will save you more than a bigger starter credit. Other Sim providers you can try include: 0044Global Sim*, Textbaysims, LetsRoam, GoSim*, Sim4travel*, Simplyfone.

It's worth taking some time to compare call costs for your likely destinations, website Onecompare"

Otherwise go to VOIPUSER.org and you can get a UK 08 number that will go to your landline in the USA.
Good luck

UStoUK
Newly Registered

Post by UStoUK » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:02 am

Thanks SYH and rrst_101 for the valuable information.

John, I usually have no problem with people having different opinions. As a matter of fact, I wanted to know whether having a UK SIM card in US is good idea. You brought a valid issue, however, the way you present is not appropriate. Hope you learn to express yourself without offending other.