ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No need for biometrics if I already have BRP??

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

cdnapplier123
Newly Registered

No need for biometrics if I already have BRP??

Post by cdnapplier123 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:00 am

Hi everyone,
I was on the phone with home office earlier today asking various questions about applying for naturalisation and passport. (background: I am Canadian and have been on Tier 1 for 5 years and ILR for 1 year and meet all requirements).

When I asked about the biometrics that they need to take after I submit my application, I was told that I don't need to go for biometrics appointment again if I already have a BRP. I asked her to confirm and she said she is positive about this.

Is she right? Please could someone here confirm this? It seems everyone here has had to submit their biometrics regardless...?

Thanks for your help!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: No need for biometrics if I already have BRP??

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:04 am

She is wrong. Another classic example of incorrect advice given by the 'helpline'.

You have to submit your biometrics again (at the Post Office), this is mandatory. Failure to submit will result in a rejected application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

cdnapplier123
Newly Registered

Post by cdnapplier123 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:09 am

ok.. thanks.. they should really provide better training for their helpline staff

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:54 am

Likely the call centre is a third party contractor.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

cyborg001

Post by cyborg001 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:03 pm

CR001 wrote:Likely the call centre is a third party contractor.
...costing the taxpayer millions of £ in contract. Good ol' value for money haha!

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:32 pm

The email and phone service for people contacting the UKV&I from overseas does seem to be outsourced.

Not sure if it is the same helpline for people calling from within the UK, but there is no reason to suggest otherwise, based on the quality of information.

The reason to submit biometrics for the citizenship applications is that before 2015, the biometric data held by the Home office throughout the immigration process had to be destroyed when you became a citizen.

Subsequently, the government would only get your biometric data when you applied for your passport. If you did not apply for your passport (by having a CoE-RoA in a foreign passport, for example or just forgoing a British passport), the government could not capture biometric data.

In response, the Immigration Act 2014 made specific provision for biometric data to be captured during the citizenship process. Such biometric data, subject to rules, is destroyed either when a British passport is acquired (which requires you to submit a fresh set of biometrics, ah-hah) or at the end of 10 years.

Further reading: The British Nationality (General) (Amendment) Regulations 2015
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.