ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What is my PR cards's expiration date?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

zoefr
Newly Registered

What is my PR cards's expiration date?

Post by zoefr » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:43 pm

Hello,

I understand the PR card has a 10 year validity date, at least for EEA. Well I received my card today (blue foldable standalone type, not a sticker in passport) which only lists the date of issue. The only other date field is 'document renewal date' which is blank, understandably. There is no expiration date mentioned. Is it just assumed to be 10 years from the date of issue?

Although I have just received my card now for the first time, the date I acquired permanent residence was actually back in 2010. Hopefully this date is irrelevant for validity... or does it mean I will have to renew in 2020?

Curiously, without referring to material online, just inspecting the language on the card itself as well as the letter one would assume there is no validity- it truly is permanent as the name suggests barring being away from the UK for more than 2 continuous years.

So slightly confused, what is the correct answer please.

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: What is my PR cards's expiration date?

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:21 pm

Only the biometric residence permits (which you did not get) need to be renewed every 10 years to update the holders biometric information (like a drivers license is renewed).
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zoefr
Newly Registered

Post by zoefr » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:36 pm

Thank you CR001, I couldn't find it officially but there are many,many sites that list as such which would suggest misinformation on their part...

e.g.

"Period of Validity
An EEA Permanent Residence Card will take the form of either an endorsement in your passport or in a free-standing document. Your Permanent Residence Card will be valid for a period of ten years, after which it will need to be renewed (unless you have been granted British Citizenship by Naturalisation in the interim)."

from http://www.immigrationbarrister.co.uk/e ... -card.html

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:39 pm

Go to the source, our friend the EEA Regs 2006

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006 ... on/18/made
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

zoefr
Newly Registered

Post by zoefr » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:22 pm

Thank you noajthan, but I am unsure about the legalise.

It seems, technically, EEA nationals such as me (I am French) get a "document" and not a "card". Verifying the wording in the letter and the blue paper I received this seems true, although most sources do not seem to make this distinction referring always to a "permanent residence card" even for EEA nationals.

What I understand from your link, but please correct me, is that an EEA national's document unlike a non-EEA national's card remains valid without the need for renewal so long as the rights (EEA freedom of movement) continue. Hypothetically, if in the future following Brexit, these EEA rights are no longer valid one could reasonably expect the need for EEA nationals to renew their document (or perhaps it could also become a "card" at that stage) on some basis e.g. 10 years.

Your link also suggests the card/document shall be issued free of charge. I suppose the £65 the HO requests is classed as a "service fee" then?

MrSlyFox

Post by MrSlyFox » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:37 pm

So long as you do not lose your Permanent Residence, The document certifying permanent residence remains valid. The fee has been introduced and the regulations were amended and required since the 1st of July 2013. Latest copy of the reulugations:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006 ... 515_en.pdf

Which itself is to be replaced the start of next month by:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016 ... tents/made