ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Forgot employment history

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

aravindb4u

Forgot employment history

Post by aravindb4u » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:09 am

Hi everyone,

First of all thanks everyone for the forum, moderators and members for the wonderful help & support.
I am very grateful for this forum at every stage of my visa applications.

I came to UK as a student in 2007 and then to PSW in 2008 then to Tier 1 General in 2009 & got ILR in 2014.

From 2011 I have been working in the same company as permanent employee. I have worked part time jobs before that and while as a student.

I couldn't remember all the places I have worked in the past. So I made a search through this forum and found that we can request the info from HMRC. I have called HMRC, and they suggested me writing to them using a form which I did, requesting 10 years history. However they have sent me back my employment history from 2010, when I called them they said they only have my past 6 years employment history. In addition they have sent me my NI contributions since 2007 (ie for 10 years).

So in essence I have my 6 years employment history and all NI contributions but no employment history for first 4 years. Now I have booked appointment with NCS in last week of January.

In the application form I have listed my last 6 years (2010-2016) employment history, and mentioned in page 22 additional info that, I honestly forgot accurate information about my employment history before that and made sincere efforts in querying the info from HMRC. Also mentioned that HMRC have only 6 years of my history with them and have attached the employment history letter from HMRC. I have also sincerely aplogised for that.

Now my question is should I proceed with my NCS appointment with the 6 years info & apology + HMRC letter

OR

Cancel my appointment and wait for few more years?

Forgetting an info is not like "NOT declaring" right? Especially when I made efforts to ask HMRC and attaching their letter. Would HO understand our situation? Has anyone got through such situation successfully & got approval? Opinions and suggestions please.

Thanks in advance

noajthan

Re: Forgot employment history

Post by noajthan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:27 pm

Surely you can remember something:
  • what type of job or profession;
    what part of country;
    what kind of role;
    approximate year;
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

aravindb4u

Post by aravindb4u » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:44 pm

While a student I have worked in part time jobs but always stayed under 20 hours / week, I was always conscious about that. However was working in shifts and part time, so not remember exact/accurate details of employer address. I remember the year I have worked and employer name but not accurately the month. Moreover I might miss some details as for some employers I have worked just for a week and quit because I didn't like the place etc. So was wondering should I declare inaccurately based on my memory or just mention in my application that I don't remember accurate details before 6 years. Any suggestions please welcome.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:52 pm

aravindb4u wrote:While a student I have worked in part time jobs but always stayed under 20 hours / week, I was always conscious about that. However was working in shifts and part time, so not remember exact/accurate details of employer address. I remember the year I have worked and employer name but not accurately the month. Moreover I might miss some details as for some employers I have worked just for a week and quit because I didn't like the place etc. So was wondering should I declare inaccurately based on my memory or just mention in my application that I don't remember accurate details before 6 years. Any suggestions please welcome.
Its up to the applicant to support the application with adequate information so suggest submit what you can;
explain reasons for what you can't remember in detail and any reason for approximate dates;
(eg just month/year instead of day-month-year etc).

aravindb4u

Post by aravindb4u » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:01 pm

Given that I submit my 6 year history and explain I cannot remember my employment history previous to that, Case worker would anyways do a check of my 10 year employment history and they have access to the information much better & quicker than I have. Would that lead to a successful application? I mean honestly & genuinely I can't remember. And I have queried HMRC regarding this and attaching their response as well. So hoping it all ends well. Just wondering if they can simply refuse based on things I have not declared as I can't remember? Its just an outside chance. What do you think?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:08 pm

aravindb4u wrote:Given that I submit my 6 year history and explain I cannot remember my employment history previous to that, Case worker would anyways do a check of my 10 year employment history and they have access to the information much better & quicker than I have. Would that lead to a successful application? I mean honestly & genuinely I can't remember. And I have queried HMRC regarding this and attaching their response as well. So hoping it all ends well. Just wondering if they can simply refuse based on things I have not declared as I can't remember? Its just an outside chance. What do you think?
I find it hard to understand how you have forgotten such details.

I have no idea how a caseworker would resolve such an application.
You may not be given benefit of doubt. It may trigger further investigation.

You are now expected to submit evidence to confirm compliance tax/NI obligations so its not simply about remembering a history, you need evidence to back it up too.

aravindb4u

Post by aravindb4u » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Its not rocket science to empathise on someone who cannot remember all his part time jobs & shifts as a student. When I was a student I didnt generally foresee & mature enough to note down each & every employment you do as part time so it would be asked 10 years later. Simple.

I dont mind if it triggers further investigation as I have always been in compliant with the rules.
However to prove it, yes I agree with you, I need the evidence for which I need to have better & quicker access to the systems that HMRC & Home Office has. Or atleast if I request access for information then they should be able to provide me with those.

I hate this notion of someone applying genuinely to be perceived as deceptory & dodgy. Its just pure red tapism after all the fee you pay. Surely citizenship application is not a memory test. If they have access to information why not they check it? Anyways thanks for the suggestions so far. I understand your point that benefit of doubt wont work in favour of me. I will just bin the application then until I get hold of my 10 year history or I wait for another 4 more years. Thanks for the suggestion so far. Much appreciated. Cheers

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:39 pm

Indeed, not rocket science.
But its not simply red tape; the applicant has to prove she/he is worthy of citizenship.
The fee is apparently set to cover costs, you're not buying anything.

This is not a police state so noone tracks your every activity and job for you.
However it is your responsibility to comply with immigration regulations and to submit necessary information for any application, after all its in your interest to do so.

One purpose of the questions of concern is to feed into the good character test.
That test has discretionary elements and is assessed on balance of probabilities.
A number of government and non-government datasources and data feeds are used to crosscheck and verify the information supplied.

Tip the scales in your favour (for example with requested and good information and/or reasonable explanation) and all could be well.

cyborg001

Post by cyborg001 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:37 am

I would not read too much into it and just go ahead and apply with as much information as you can provide e.g. letters from employers, P60s etc.

You can write in additional info section that you undertook part time work as a student but always kept to the terms of your visa and paid taxes as applicable as can be checked against your NI number. They can make all the checks they want which can take time but in the end there would have to be a real reason to reject.

Don't fear if you have nothing to hide. :D