ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Incapacity Benefit vs Exercising Treaty Rights.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nea200pl
Newly Registered

Incapacity Benefit vs Exercising Treaty Rights.

Post by nea200pl » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:14 pm

Hello, I hope this is correct forum to ask this. I am Polish national and have been living in the UK since 2001. After Poland joined the EU I have registered under Workers Registration Scheme, then applied for Residence Permit which I was granted in 2005.
I hold full time job and up till now I have been exercising my Treaty Rights.
After my Permit finishes I am planning to apply for Permanent Residence and then for Naturalisation.

Since 2001 I have been suffering from serious back problems which result in operation and me being on/off work since late 2006. Since June 2007 I have been off again which no real time prospect when I can go back to work again. I have been paid my sickness allowance in full and then Statutory Sick Pay respectively for consecutive 28 weeks until it finished last month.

My question is - is claiming Incapacity Benefit from the Government going to jeopardise my exercise of Treaty Rights and make my further application for Permanent Residence impossible to grant? I have been working hard to get immigration status I have now and I don't want to loose it.
Also my husband's Residence Card, with him being non-EU citizen, is dependant on me exercising Treaty Rights.
Please help.