ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

"Unmarried Partner" Visa in Belgium, advice pls :)

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Meisje
Newly Registered

"Unmarried Partner" Visa in Belgium, advice pls :)

Post by Meisje » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:16 pm

Hi, I am an American gal who is dating a Belgian guy. We've now been dating for two years. I've been trying to find work in Belgium so I can be there with him, as he is in a contract job for the next two years. I have been unsuccessful in finding a way to get to Belgium via working, but I came across information on the visa for non-EUers in a "stable relationship" with Belgian citizens. My question is what other people's experiences with this type of visa has been. Are they hard to get? My guy and I have dated for 2 years, during which we lived in the same city for the first year of our relationship in London - we met through our gradschool program there. Since we both left London, he has visited me three times in the US while I have visited him four times in Belgium. We have also met each others' families. I expect this might be enough for a "stable relationship"? My boyfriend has a good job and a home, so he could prove that as well for the visa.

I'd also like to know if I'll be able to work with this visa. I've searched the internet but can not find the answer - just the requirements I need for the visa. I am a lawyer with a large firm in the US, and, while our law is obviously different from Belgium's, I'd hope that I could still be considered a skillful or valuable enough candidate for work in Belgium (my firm does not, unfortunately, have an office in Brussels). With the unmarried partner visa, would I still need to get a work permit to obtain employment? Would I need a work sponsor?

Thanks for any advice!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:56 pm

Actually the term is "durable relationship". Unfortunately whilst that term was introduced by some EU regulations that took effect on 30.04.06, those regulations failed to define the term. Accordingly it is up to member states to come up with their own definitions ..... at least until the ECJ .... the European Court of Justice ..... defines what the term actually means.

I too look forward to posting about how Belgium defines the term "durable relationship".

Here in the UK the Government insists upon the couple living together for at least 2 years. However there are many who think it is possible to be in a durable relationship before 2 years living together.

Of course marriage would change everything, but no one should ever get married just in order to ease a visa situation.
John

Meisje
Newly Registered

Post by Meisje » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:42 pm

Thanks for the quick reply John! I'm pretty new to all this, but this is what I got from http://www.diplomatie.be/en/default.asp. It uses the term "stable relationship" but, unfortunately, doesn't define it. Anyone out there know where I can get the definition? I certainly consider our relationship stable, but it's true that we haven't lived together yet (though we did live in the same city our first year of dating):

Consular Services (and Visa section)

LONG TERM VISA GENERAL INFORMATION
Long Term Visa, General Information

1. Residence (at least 3 months) in Belgium

1.5. Foreigners coming to Belgium to live with a partner in a stable relationship

Foreigners who have a stable relationship with a Belgian national, a national of the European Union or an Foreigner who is not a European Union national but nonetheless resides legally in Belgium, may settle in Belgium with their partner. This provision applies to both heterosexual and homosexual relationships. Interested parties should apply for a Type D visa from the diplomatic or consular authorities competent for the district where they reside. The following documents must be provided to substantiate the application:

- a copy of the identity card of the partner living in Belgium;

- documents to prove the unmarried status of each of the two partners;

- the birth certificate of the visa applicant;

- evidence of the stability of the relationship;

- evidence that the partner living in Belgium has sufficient means of support;

- a declaration of financial responsibility signed by the partner living in Belgium (contact the municipal authorities);

- a certificate of good conduct;

- a medical certificate.

peanutplans
Newly Registered

Post by peanutplans » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:53 am

Hi Meisje:
Here is the link to everything you need -
http://www.diplobel.us/TravelingBelgium ... tizens.asp
I think they also just added "eye scan". USA has their own list of requirements for USA citizens to go to belgium.
I just went through the whole arduous process of applying for a co-habitation visa to live with my belgian boyfriend. After two months of waiting, I just found out today that i was denied. In hindsight, it's much easier to get married. What you'd have to do is come into belgium (which is where i am now living illegally until i can figure out another option to stay here legally), go directly to the town hall for a piece of paper granting you 3-month stay. And within that time you must collect all paperwork for marriage (the list is much shorter than the cohabitation one), get married and apply for residency.
Best of luck!
Peanut

giwuken
Newly Registered

Post by giwuken » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:15 pm