ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

work permit dependent or settlement visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gadgets
Newly Registered

work permit dependent or settlement visa

Post by gadgets » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:54 pm

I am currently a work permit holder for the past five years, I just got married last year and plan to bring my wife into the UK. The question I have is that the visa fee for a work permit dependent is £200 and £500 for a settlement visa.

I presume if I convert my LTR to ILR prior to my wife applying for a visa that she will have to apply for a settlement visa.

Is there any disadvantage to coming into the UK as a work permit dependent?

If she gets a work permit dependent visa and then I apply for an ILR, will her visa still be valid?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jazbaati99

Post by jazbaati99 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:31 pm

Hello

I would strongly recommend you to delay your ILR and apply only once your wife is with you. Depending on where you are from, it may be quicker to go for a work permit dependent rule. Once your wife is here in UK as your dependent then you can include her in your ILR application (free of cost) and she will get ILR at same time as your self (irrespective of the time spend in UK).

If you go for the settlement route,
1) it will be expansive (cost of initial application + cost of ILR in two years time whereas otherwise you have to pay for a work permit dependent fees and your wife will be included in your ILR application as your dependent)
2) it may take longer (depending on where you apply from, for example from Pakistan work permit dependent visa took five working days where as the time for the decision for settlement applications was three months)
3) it may be harder, you may need to send more documentations

Hope it helps

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:42 pm

If you plan to wait, keep an eye on the changes happening soon regarding the points-based system.

gadgets
Newly Registered

Post by gadgets » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:27 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I will most likely opt to wait and get my wife here as a work permit dependent then apply for the ILR.

paulp - is the points-based system for the ILR application?