ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When to apply for Naturalisation (citizenship) ?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

leondj

When to apply for Naturalisation (citizenship) ?

Post by leondj » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Very sorry if the answer to this question is somewhere in the forums but I can't find it.

Lets say I have been on a workpermit since 11/04/2003. I then apply for ILR on 14/03/2008 and let's say I get it. When can I then apply for citizenship? 14/03/2009 or 11/04/2009?

Many Thanks

Leon

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:35 pm

Please, it's NATURALISATION, not neutralisation. If you want to apply for something, at least know what you are applying for. :shock:

nat·u·ral·ise –verb (used with object)
1. to confer upon (an alien) the rights and privileges of a citizen.

neu·ter –verb (used with object)
10. Veterinary Science. to spay or castrate (a dog, cat, etc.).

neu·tral·ise –verb (used with object)
1. to make neutral; cause to undergo neutralisation.
2. to make (something) ineffective; counteract; nullify: carelessness that neutralised our efforts.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:56 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:15 pm

paulp wrote:Please, it's NATURALISATION, not neutralisation. If you want to apply for something, at least know what you are applying for. :shock:

2. to make (something) ineffective; counteract; nullify:#carelessness that neutralised our efforts.
So you mean UK naturalization is neutralization process??

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:53 am

SYH wrote: So you mean UK naturalization is neutralization process??
He means that it's different.

leondj

Post by leondj » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:10 am

Thank you very much for the grammer lesson. I would definitely not want to apply to be neutered.....ouch...':shock:'...thanks for the heads up.

However I would still like to confirm if I understand the requirements from the bia website. As far as I can see I should be able to apply for NATURALISATION on 14/03/2009 if I receive my ILR on 14/03/2008 because:

- have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least five years. (It would be 5 years and 11 months then)

- have been free from immigration time restrictions during the last 12 months of the residential qualifying period (Yes 12 months ILR)

- have not spent more than 450 days outside the United Kingdom during the five year period;(Check)

- have not spend more than 90 days outside the United Kingdom in the last 12 months of the five-year period (Check)

...Or am I missing something...?

Leon

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:40 am

Just ensure that you were in the UK exactly 5 years before BIA will receive the Naturalisation application. It is a strange rule, but very important, and BIA have no discretion about this.

So looking at that date of 14.03.2009, if that is indeed the application date, the question is ... were you physically in the UK on 14.03.2004? If not, don't apply on that date.

For example, if you were on holiday out of the UK from 12.03.04 to 26.03.04, then you would need to wait until at least 26.03.09 before submitting the application.
John

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:24 pm

John wrote:Just ensure that you were in the UK exactly 5 years before BIA will receive the Naturalisation application. It is a strange rule, but very important, and BIA have no discretion about this.

So looking at that date of 14.03.2009, if that is indeed the application date, the question is ... were you physically in the UK on 14.03.2004? If not, don't apply on that date.

For example, if you were on holiday out of the UK from 12.03.04 to 26.03.04, then you would need to wait until at least 26.03.09 before submitting the application.
yeah why do you think they have that rule?

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:25 pm

Try to the Metropolitan Police, they are very good at neutralising people, especially if you are Brazilian.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:33 pm

SYH wrote:
John wrote:Just ensure that you were in the UK exactly 5 years before BIA will receive the Naturalisation application. It is a strange rule, but very important, and BIA have no discretion about this.

yeah why do you think they have that rule?
As far as I recall, it's how the law is worded. BIA has no discretion over this matter.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:39 pm

Dawie wrote:Try to the Metropolitan Police, they are very good at neutralising people, especially if you are Brazilian.
At least, naturalisation can only be done by post or NCS, can you imagine an applicant turning up at a counter at BIA saying "I'm here for neutralisation"? :lol:

leondj

Post by leondj » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:02 pm

Thanks John,

A very useful bit of information indeed.

judy7007
Newly Registered

Post by judy7007 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:55 am

I love this website! browse here quite often...what a hoot!

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:34 pm

JAJ wrote:
SYH wrote: So you mean UK naturalization is neutralization process??
He means that it's different.
yeah I know, you are no fun

I was implying when you get naturalized that in a way you are neutralized because you Brits tend to be so unemotional. Are you sure you don't get neutered?

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:28 pm

SYH wrote:yeah I know, you are no fun

I was implying when you get naturalized that in a way you are neutralized because you Brits tend to be so unemotional. Are you sure you don't get neutered?
Oh, that's what the little black cubicle in the citizenship ceremony is for. :twisted:

neritan
Newly Registered

bit harsh

Post by neritan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:30 am

paulp wrote:Please, it's NATURALISATION, not neutralisation. If you want to apply for something, at least know what you are applying for. :shock:

2. to make (something) ineffective; counteract; nullify: carelessness that neutralised our efforts.
That was a bit harsh mate. Do you speak many other languages fluently? I have met poms that dont write english as well as this fella. Pull the stick out.
cheers

paulp
Diamond Member

Re: bit harsh

Post by paulp » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:27 am

neritan wrote:That was a bit harsh mate. Do you speak many other languages fluently? I have met poms that dont write english as well as this fella. Pull the stick out.
cheers
It has happened more than once on this board that posters have confused naturalisation with neutralisation. You wouldn't want them to go on believing they are the same do you? The spelling may be close but the point was that the meaning are very very different.

PS: Don't assume that other posters don't speak many other languages fluently.

neritan
Newly Registered

Post by neritan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:15 pm

paulp wrote:
neritan wrote:That was a bit harsh mate. Do you speak many other languages fluently? I have met poms that dont write english as well as this fella. Pull the stick out.
cheers
It has happened more than once on this board that posters have confused naturalisation with neutralisation. You wouldn't want them to go on believing they are the same do you? The spelling may be close but the point was that the meaning are very very different.

The line I took exception to is this "If you want to apply for something, at least know what you are applying for. Shocked "
That was arrogant and uncalled for. Do you speak any other languages? are you so perfect in those that you have never made a mistake?
Even the best pocket translation dictionaries wont have either of those words in them. Are you suggesting they go out and buy a really expensive dictionary just to keep you happy? I am sure the home office gets what people are asking for. Perhaps they even point out the error without being a %$£" about it.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:47 pm

neritan wrote:The line I took exception to is this "If you want to apply for something, at least know what you are applying for. Shocked "
That was arrogant and uncalled for.
Would you buy something without being sure what you are buying? Would you ask something to be done to you without being sure what it is? Seriously....
neritan wrote: Do you speak any other languages? are you so perfect in those that you have never made a mistake?
Let's not get into that. Many people in the world are raised bilingual, trilingual or even more.
neritan wrote:I am sure the home office gets what people are asking for. Perhaps they even point out the error without being a %$£" about it.
Asking to be granted British Citizenship is no small matter. How does it reflect on the applicant if he/she didn't even bother to get the name of the process right? What does that reveal about his/her intentions? Does the applicant really want to become a British Citizen with all the rights and duties that it entails, or do they simply want to be able to come/go/work as they want in the UK?

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:35 pm

neritan wrote:
paulp wrote:
cheers

The line I took exception to is this "If you want to apply for something, at least know what you are applying for. Shocked "
That was arrogant and uncalled for. Do you speak any other languages? are you so perfect in those that you have never made a mistake?
Even the best pocket translation dictionaries wont have either of those words in them. Are you suggesting they go out and buy a really expensive dictionary just to keep you happy? I am sure the home office gets what people are asking for. Perhaps they even point out the error without being a %$£" about it.
Hmm I don't think the HO likes it or they wouldn't have implemented that stupid life in the uk test.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:18 pm

I think it's absolutely right to point out something like "neutralisation" instead of "naturalisation", since it is better to find out that sort of mistake here on this forum than elsewhere. However, we need to be sensitive in doing so, and we also need to bear in mind that:
  • (a) for many people posting here, English is not their first language: the life in the UK test (and similar tests) requires competence in English but it does not require English to native-speaker standard;
    (b) many native speakers of English would be only dimly aware of the meaning and usage of words such as "naturalisation";
    (c) following on from (b), many people who apply for naturalisation are going to be only dimly aware of the equivalent word or the analogous words in their own language.
Just my sixpence worth!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:40 pm

OK, point surely made ..... please, no further comment about the word used by the OP.
John

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:25 am

John wrote:OK, point surely made ..... please, no further comment about the word used by the OP.
Hi John, is there a way to change the title of the post?

Contrary to what the other posters said, it is not a problem of language, rather one of knowing the proper technical term for the process. We wouldn't want to keep on perpetuating the wrong term to people who only browse the thread titles or are doing a search, right?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:21 pm

is there a way to change the title of the post?
Done
John