ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Citizen marrying New Zealander in Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

coldog
Newly Registered

Irish Citizen marrying New Zealander in Ireland

Post by coldog » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:01 pm

I am a Irish person and plan to marry my New Zealand fiance in July 08.

She returns from New Zealand in January and plans to come into Ireland on a 90 day visitors stamp. We will apply then to the registrar to marry.

I gather she must then leave within the 90 days and return prior to July for the Wedding.

Does anybody know is there a restriction on the number of times she can enter. New Zealander are automatically able to enter Ireland without an official visa.

Also, when we are married what is the prodedure for her to be able to stay her and work?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:37 pm

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:32 am

Why don't you try to get an appointment at the Registrar before she arrives? You don't need her to be physically present to get an appointment,just have her sign the declaration of intent to marry form. She can arrive when you get the appointment to marry at the registrar. After you are married, go to GNIB at Burgh Quay together and apply for a 'stamp4' for her.

EK
Newly Registered

Post by EK » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:53 am

[quote="archigabe"]Why don't you try to get an appointment at the Registrar before she arrives? You don't need her to be physically present to get an appointment,just have her sign the declaration of intent to marry form. She can arrive when you get the appointment to marry at the registrar. After you are married, go to GNIB at Burgh Quay together and apply for a 'stamp4' for her.[/quote

But just to give you a head's up the processing time for a stamp 4 (marriage to an Irish citizen) is about one year. I should know, myself and my wife (we got married in Ireland) have been waiting almost one year now. My wife does not need a visa to enter Ireland for a holiday ( I mention this as it seems to make a difference)

If we had of known that it would take this long we would have got married abroad then entered Ireland married - this seems to be an easier faster process.

My wife has not been able to work for for a year and it is hard to keep above water - Ireland ain't exactly cheap. So I would recommend marrying outside Ireland.

Perhaps some of the more senior members have a better suggestion

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:39 am

But just to give you a head's up the processing time for a stamp 4 (marriage to an Irish citizen) is about one year. I should know, myself and my wife (we got married in Ireland) have been waiting almost one year now. My wife does not need a visa to enter Ireland for a holiday ( I mention this as it seems to make a difference)

If we had of known that it would take this long we would have got married abroad then entered Ireland married - this seems to be an easier faster process.
That waiting time is appalling!

Just thinking out loud here... I wonder what the difference is between marrying as you did in Ireland and an Irish+non-EU marrying abroad and then entering. If the non-irish spouse is from a country that doesn't need a visa to enter, they would go through the same process; enter Ireland on a visa waiver and then apply for the Stamp for at the GNIB. God, their whole immigration process is absurd!!

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:49 pm

I wonder if they could apply for a 'spouse visa' at the Irish embassy abroad even if the foreign spouse was eligible for a visa waiver. I heard if you arrive on a spouse visa you can receive the stamp4 on the same day at the Garda Immigration bureau.
I would say it's worth checking out!

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:35 pm

I wonder if they could apply for a 'spouse visa' at the Irish embassy abroad even if the foreign spouse was eligible for a visa waiver.
Not that I know of. The Irish consulate (in the US) had told me that as an American, I had to make the application once I arrived in Ireland. There was no way to do it from the US, according to them. This was in 2004. Even more curious (or stupid) they had told me that even though we were NOT married at the time, and had not lived together :roll:

There just seems to be a lot of passing the buck and the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing in the Irish system.

Frances1978
Newly Registered

Post by Frances1978 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:22 pm

I've been to the GNIB today to register as the spouse of an irish citizen (I'm a New Zealander). It was relatively painless, and I received a stamp 4 for one year (I will be granted the remainder of the 5 year period next year as the immigration officer said they didn't know us). I had married my now husband overseas and entered the country based on my marriage in late December.

But I was given a list of conditions that I had to inform the immigration officer of if they occurred including having children, leaving the country for more than 30 days and then returning, changing address (in particular, moving to a new district and having to notify them within 2 working days - they could fine me if I didn't do this), changing my mobile number to name some of them. I was quite taken aback by all of this. I'm not entirely sure what business some of the criteria is of theirs.

I've no idea why they have different rules for some and others have to wait for a year or so to get permission to reside and work as the spouse of an Irish citizen. Just insane really.