ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

travelling before 10 years is due

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

aaliya1986
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

travelling before 10 years is due

Post by aaliya1986 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:59 pm

Dear all,

My 10 year is due next January. Whenever i travel and come back, i am stopped at the border for extra questioning. I am given a temporary detention paper which i assume is a procedure which the officers have to follow. After questioning and checking details they let me go, it takes 15-20 minutes, but these 15-20 minutes are very upsetting. I still do not know why i am stopped. I have done nothing wrong but still they stop me. This time i asked and they told me because i have been here for long time that's why they stop and check.

my question is:
Is it 'safe' to travel before next January?

I am worried that if i go and return then there is a risk where the officer may not let me in maybe because my ILR is due in few months time. Please share your opinions and give me a good advise. always thankful for help which i get from this forum.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: travelling before 10 years is due

Post by Casa » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:13 pm

It might help you to find out exactly what information the Home Office hold on you, by submitting a SAR.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... mmigration
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

aaliya1986
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by aaliya1986 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:44 am

how will a SAR help me? also what information will it have?

any people who have the same experience? and any advises about travelling before the 10 years is due? really confused. helps and advises needed

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:46 pm

aaliya1986 wrote:how will a SAR help me? also what information will it have?

any people who have the same experience? and any advises about travelling before the 10 years is due? really confused. helps and advises needed
A SAR should show what is causing your entry to flag up on the UKVI system :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

aaliya1986
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by aaliya1986 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:28 pm

i will file for a SAR as one of other solicitors have also asked me to do that.

but there was another one who said they cannot deny me entry because i am in the middle of my course and i shall have no problem in entering.

is there anyone else who had faced a similar situation before their ilr was due? or any other threads with similar situations.

please share your advises whether it is a good idea to travel or not before 6 months of getting ilr.

thanks you in advance everyone.

aaliya1986
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by aaliya1986 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:41 pm

Casa wrote:

A SAR should show what is causing your entry to flag up on the UKVI system :idea:
just received the SAR back and it does not say anything about what is flagging up on the UKVI system. :(

can you please direct me to the right direction as to where i can see this information? i have gone through the SAR line by line and still unable to find the information. Moreover, if this information is not there, can i request this?

thank you for all your help.

seasky
BANNED
United Kingdom

Post by seasky » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:26 pm

aaliya1986 wrote:
Casa wrote:

just received the SAR back and it does not say anything about what is flagging up on the UKVI system. :(

can you please direct me to the right direction as to where i can see this information? i have gone through the SAR line by line and still unable to find the information. Moreover, if this information is not there, can i request this?

You have to get back to SAR team and ask for 'coded landing card'. A few more pointers:

a. 'temporary detention' is not fun but in itself means nothing, it is just the technical side of how they can keep you there for those 20 minutes while they question you/look things up in the back

b. did they 'land' you (means let you enter UK) with a normal stamp? or did it say something like a time limit (usually 6 months) and/or 'not allowed employment'

c. as far as you know are there any issues with your current visa? (what is your current immigration status?), the forum can comment more based on this.

d. what was the nature of the questions you were asked?

e. if there was an issue, I would pretty much think they would tell you then and there (and/or invite you to follow up interview and of course worse case deport you on the spot). As such I would not be concerned.

Crazyhorse68

Post by Crazyhorse68 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:27 pm

Hi
I had a similar experience in the past, questioned and few times.
I wrote a letter to immigration complaint department And attached detention documents.
Immigration complaint department sent me apologetic letter.
Never been questioned again.

aaliya1986
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by aaliya1986 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:08 pm

seasky wrote:
aaliya1986 wrote:
Casa wrote:

You have to get back to SAR team and ask for 'coded landing card'. A few more pointers:

a. 'temporary detention' is not fun but in itself means nothing, it is just the technical side of how they can keep you there for those 20 minutes while they question you/look things up in the back

b. did they 'land' you (means let you enter UK) with a normal stamp? or did it say something like a time limit (usually 6 months) and/or 'not allowed employment'

c. as far as you know are there any issues with your current visa? (what is your current immigration status?), the forum can comment more based on this.

d. what was the nature of the questions you were asked?

e. if there was an issue, I would pretty much think they would tell you then and there (and/or invite you to follow up interview and of course worse case deport you on the spot). As such I would not be concerned.
thank you for the reply.

yes i am always landed at the end with a normal stamp and no conditions whatsoever. everything remains normal.

no issues with current visa. everything normal and tier 4

i was asked more as to when did i come and the timeline since then. the officer made notes and went back office and then came back and landed me

however i remember once there was a problem where the officer did not think i was a genuine student and she said she will add a note and etc etc. but that was back in 2010. since then i have been pretty much stopped all the time, can this be the cause of stopping me at immigration control ?

aaliya1986
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by aaliya1986 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:10 pm

Crazyhorse68 wrote:Hi
I had a similar experience in the past, questioned and few times.
I wrote a letter to immigration complaint department And attached detention documents.
Immigration complaint department sent me apologetic letter.
Never been questioned again.
thank you for the reply.

is the complaint department the same as on the website or you wrote to a different address? will you please be able to share it through private message?
when you say you attached detention documents, then i am never given any document because when they stamp my passport they take that white paper back.

seasky
BANNED
United Kingdom

Post by seasky » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:16 pm

aaliya1986 wrote:
thank you for the reply.

yes i am always landed at the end with a normal stamp and no conditions whatsoever. everything remains normal.

no issues with current visa. everything normal and tier 4

i was asked more as to when did i come and the timeline since then. the officer made notes and went back office and then came back and landed me

however i remember once there was a problem where the officer did not think i was a genuine student and she said she will add a note and etc etc. but that was back in 2010. since then i have been pretty much stopped all the time, can this be the cause of stopping me at immigration control ?
You are welcome,

I don't know how the IO system works, but it is IOs job to not just approve paperwork but figure out if someone is abusing the system. 90% of the time I am asked "what do you do as an entrepreneur" and I answer "my company designs, develops and manufactures XXXXXX XXXXX" that is the scope of my interview (sometimes followed by small talk i.e. "Oh really, that sounds very interesting or I didn't know XXXX XXXX existed").

It is not unreasonable to assume an IO might see a doubt on a system and ask for a more thorough questioning.

I frankly don't think you have any reason not to travel from what you said. You were landed normally and the detention is meaningless. If you wish, to make you feel more confident, bring some paperwork re your T4 (" I am a stundent and here is a copy of my latest Thesis about 'the influence of free radical particles on the mindset of Asian elephants" :wink: )

Crazyhorse68

Post by Crazyhorse68 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:04 pm

Hi aaliya
I have been stopped twice and given detentions documents.
Just write a letter why I have been stopped and questioned by the immigration officer.
I sent you pm