ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Not sure what to do - born in UK before 1983

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

britmalay
Newly Registered

Not sure what to do - born in UK before 1983

Post by britmalay » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:08 am

Hello,

I was born in the UK before 1983 and have my birth certificate as issued in the UK. I presently hold a Malaysian passport but want to apply for a British passport. Several questions:

1) Am I eligible as British citizen - I wrote an email to the generic question/answer and was directed to simply fill out an application for a passport

2) If I am not eligible - how do I go about this?

3) Upon application of my British passport, will the embassy destroy my Malaysian passport or will it be returned to me in original form?

Thanks all!

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:10 am

You are eligible, which is why you need only fill out a passport application form.

The British authorities will not destory your Malaysian passport.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

britmalay
Newly Registered

Post by britmalay » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:14 am

Thank you, Victoria.

JAJ
Australia

Re: Not sure what to do - born in UK before 1983

Post by JAJ » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:05 am

britmalay wrote:Hello,

I was born in the UK before 1983 and have my birth certificate as issued in the UK. I presently hold a Malaysian passport but want to apply for a British passport. Several questions:

1) Am I eligible as British citizen - I wrote an email to the generic question/answer and was directed to simply fill out an application for a passport

2) If I am not eligible - how do I go about this?

3) Upon application of my British passport, will the embassy destroy my Malaysian passport or will it be returned to me in original form?

Thanks all!

1. You are a British citizen unless your parents were diplomats.

2. The Embassy will not confiscate your Malaysian passport. But Malaysia may revoke your citizenship if they find out you have a British passport.

One alternative is to obtain a Right of Abode stamp in your Malaysian passport (if you want to keep it).

Do you have children born in Malaysia?