ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

m

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sweetness

m

Post by sweetness » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:30 pm

mmmmm
Last edited by sweetness on Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:41 pm

[Mod] Moving to the UK forum [Mod]

vinny

EEA marrying a Work Permit Non-EEA

Post by vinny » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:16 am

He may need to apply for a COA before he can marry in the UK.

If he's on a valid work permit and has leave to enter/remain, then he's already legal. He may apply for settlement, using Form SET(O), when the time comes. This may be his quickest option for settlement.

Alternatively, after marriage, he may apply under European law. However, it may then take him another 5 years to attain a Permanent right of residence.

Alternatively, after marriage, if you've already attained a permanent right of residence and when you're over 18 (paragraph 277), then he may switch to FLR(M) status. However, it may then take him at least another 2 years until he will be eligible to apply for settlement, using Form SET(M).

Remember that if he's applying for settlement under UK immigration rules, then he would also have to satisfy the Knowledge of language and life in the United Kingdom requirements.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: EEA marrying a Work Permit Non-EEA

Post by sakura » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:47 am

sweetness wrote:Hi,

I need your help! I am 17 and over and I have a boyfriend who has come to the UK on a work permit. It's his last year of the 5 years he has been working in the UK. We've been together for almost 2 years now and we've decided to get married. Is that possible, when I am 17? and if so can I make my boyfriend legal in the UK? if so, how?

Thank you for all of those who send their response.
If he is on a work permit then he is legal. So he doesn't need help from you on that front. If he has been here nearly five years on a work permit, then he should be eligible for ILR (indefinite leave to remain) once he completes five years, and he definately should not go on to a spouse visa or the EEA route (that vinny mentions) if he is nearing the five year point (on a work permit).

And, as you are under 18 you cannot sponsor him anyway.
Last edited by sakura on Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sweetness

Post by sweetness » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:18 pm

Last edited by sweetness on Sat May 14, 2011 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:20 pm

sweetness wrote:Thank you Vinnie and Sakura for your help, I really appreciate it. One thing though, he is on work permit, but he's got like 11months left. His validity of his work permit visa, ends in december. Therefore i'm still confused on what to apply for? Is my b friend suppose to wait until the 5 years is complete and apply for the Indefinate to remain? or is there any quicker option for him to settle in the UK.

One more question, I know a person on work permit who hasn't paid their taxes, while on work permit. Is there anyway of paying the taxes now? If so, then how?

Thank you
Your boyfriend should figure all of this out himself...he spends 5 years on a work permit, and 28 days before his 5 years come up, he can apply for ILR. If he has been on a work permit for the 5 years, then this is the quickest and easiest way for him to obtain indefinite leave to remain (permanent residency) in the UK. There is absolutely nothing you can do to make it any faster than this.

Are you a British Citizen, or, if not, how long have you lived in the UK? You might be able to help after he obtains ILR, but not before.

As for the person not paying taxes...I can't see how he obtained a work permit yet his employers have no details for him? That is, I believe, tax evasion and if he or his employers are caught they'd be in trouble. Doesn't he have a national insurance number?

sweetness

Post by sweetness » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:20 pm