ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent help, spouse has been convicted

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Batangas
Newly Registered

Urgent help, spouse has been convicted

Post by Batangas » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:51 am

I need some urgent help. I came from the Philippines to join my husband, who is my sponsor. I am coming to the end of my first 2 and a half year visa. He has just been convicted of a sex offense. I have worked hard here and have my own business. I have a lot of clients and a lot of supportive friends. They do not know about this yet but I think it will be in the newspapers soon. I am very worried about this. I have done nothing wrong and don't want to be sent back to the Philippines. I do love him but I feel betrayed. Would it be best to leave him and apply for asylum? What would be my chances of being granted asylum? Or is there another way? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Urgent help, spouse has been convicted

Post by Wanderer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:06 pm

Asylum on what grounds?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:16 pm

How long have you been in the UK for?

Do you have a child with him?
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Batangas
Newly Registered

Post by Batangas » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:44 pm

Sorry maybe Asylum is the wrong word, I am thinking that there must be some appeal I can make to the Home Office.

I have been in the UK since Feb 18th 2015, I don't have any children.

Thank you

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:22 pm

If you have a good business, you may switch into other category.

The fact that he will be imprisoned, does not preclude you from being in a genuine and subsisting relationship.

Are you prepare to stand by him or seek divorce.

At present your visa his fine. He has committed a crime and not you. Please bear that in mind.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

hassanh
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by hassanh » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi,

I am not extremely sure and seniors will be able correct me if I am wrong but I think you might qualify for Domestic Violence visa as you have been betrayed by your partner and have been victim of mental abuse by your British partner.

I don't know what evidences are required to follow this route or even if you will be able to carry on your business on this route but I just wanted to give you hint about this visa so that you can research around this as well.

Apologise, if I have given wrong advise here as I am not very knowledgeable in this area.

Thanks,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:21 pm

hassanh wrote:Hi,

I am not extremely sure and seniors will be able correct me if I am wrong but I think you might qualify for Domestic Violence visa as you have been betrayed by your partner and have been victim of mental abuse by your British partner.

Apologise, if I have given wrong advise here as I am not very knowledgeable in this area.

Thanks,
Substantial evidence is required covering a period of time for a DV route application, including medical reports, police reports, womens shelter support etc. It is not a 'willy nilly' route that just anyone can take. Betrayal is not domestic abuse.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

hassanh
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by hassanh » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi CR001,

Understood and thanks for clarification.

Thanks,

Batangas
Newly Registered

Post by Batangas » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:21 pm

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far. You have all been really helpful. K.