ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA PR - Which five years should I choose?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Nele72
Newly Registered

EEA PR - Which five years should I choose?

Post by Nele72 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi - just a quick confirmation from somebody in the know.

I've lived and worked continuously in the UK since 1996. Would it be sufficient to pick ANY five-year period (say, between 1996 and 2002, or 2007 and 2012 ....) and submit documents for this? Or must it be the immediate past five years?

Basically - how much time can there be between my application now and the five year period I want to apply for?

My current understanding is that since this right exists automatically after five years I could pick and choose any period, no matter how far back.

As I want to avoid sending 20 years' worth of documents.

Thanks!

Heike

MrSlyFox

Re: EEA PR - Which five years should I choose?

Post by MrSlyFox » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:38 pm

You are correct any continuous five years period being a qualified person is valid for acquiring permanent residence. However for example, if you pick 2005 - 2010 you would also have to show you haven't been outside the UK for two years because otherwise, your permanent residence would have been lost due the absence.

It's also important to remember the more years of evidence you have the stronger your case. The Home Office caseworker can always determine which qualifying years to choose if for example. You choose a period where you might not have been a qualified person the caseworker can pick a different series qualifying years where you meet the requirements.

Wise
BANNED
Germany

Post by Wise » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:40 pm

Is totally up to you as long as your can proof it to the HO and is accurate. Personally i will use recent one. Hoping you haven't been outside UK for 2 yrs after 2002 to 2007, otherwise stick to 2007 to 2012 and since 2012 to date no serious trouble with authority you should be fine.

Good luck.
It is really good to help and everyone deserve to be respected in life. Good luck.

Nele72
Newly Registered

Post by Nele72 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:41 pm

Thanks guys -

I have continuos employment with one employer between 2007 and 2012 and will submit this. After that date, I was continuously self-employed until now, I will submit this also, along with residence.

My slight niggling worry is just that while I worked through my limited company as a contractor (making between £75 and £100k turnover) there are some gaps where I didn't have a contract but went on longer breaks to do business development, visit family etc., the primary reason I went self-employed in the first place.

While I paid myself a continuous salary, dividends, NI and all taxes, I don't know what a caseworker thinks if they see a contracting break of 2 months or more. Maybe they look at this as periods of unemployment ... hence I want to be on the safe side with the previous employment.

Merci!

Wise
BANNED
Germany

Post by Wise » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:42 pm

As long as you can provide any complete five years of your treaty right and well organised and dated you will be fine and forget about when you're self employed and beside that you paid what you're due to pay i e tax,ni etc all that will just be a bonus, but doesn't count towards your initial five years.

Also as you may know that after your automatic permanent acquisition time of your resident in UK, you're not oblige to work any more.
It is really good to help and everyone deserve to be respected in life. Good luck.

smiling
Newly Registered

Post by smiling » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:16 am

Good morning,

A quick question for PR as EU.
I understand that I can chose any 5 year period. I have been from 2006 to 2016, but from 2006 to 2013 student with medical insurance (EHIC card from another member state as well) and from 2013 Self Employed and from 2015 employed. In 2016 I have been self employed posted worker in another member state and currently outside of the UK due to my posting.

Do I need to me currently in the UK to apply or by selecting any 5 qualifying period I should be good enough.
As it is a mixed case, I would imagine I can't apply online.
How strict have they become on temporary travel outside the UK. I can't possible track down all the time I have been travelling in the EU with no exit and entry stamps.

Thanks for clarifying.
Best regards
smiling