ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish with non-EU Spouse - retire to UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

IrishCdn
Newly Registered

Irish with non-EU Spouse - retire to UK

Post by IrishCdn » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:33 pm

I've been searching for information for Irish citizens and the Common Travel Area, since my Canadian spouse( married 28 years so far...) and I are planning on retiring to the UK... I've been in Canada since I was a kid, so I won't be coming from Ireland, but I'll be using my Irish passport.

I understand that as an Irish citizen, I'm allowed to settle in the UK pretty much as soon as I arrive, but I'm totally lost on him coming along... Does he need to get an EEA spouse visa? Or is he allowed to enter the UK with me if we have our marriage certificate?

Would I have to prove I can support him since we're coming in as retirees and won't be working? From what I can see, you have to prove you have a minimum in bank, which we definitely will have no problem... Do we both need to pay the NHS fee? Or just him?

I'm so confused... I swear I've spent 40 hours on here trying to find information for Irish living in the UK, but I ended up more confused than ever!

Thanks

IrishCdn
Newly Registered

Re: Irish with non-EU Spouse - retire to UK

Post by IrishCdn » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:30 pm

OK, guess I'll continue to search. :cry:

MrSlyFox

Post by MrSlyFox » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:35 pm

IrishCdn wrote: I understand that as an Irish citizen, I'm allowed to settle in the UK pretty much as soon as I arrive
Yes, Irish Citizens are deemed to have settled status upon arrival in the UK (virtue of the Common travel area arrangement).

That gives you two options:
1. Apply for a Spouse visa (UK immigration law).
https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

2. Apply for a Family permit (EU Law) then a Residence card when in the UK. You (the Irish Citizen) must be a qualified person now as you won't be working you'll have to be self-sufficient (usually more funds available to you than would make you ineligible for benefits) and have comprehensive sickness insurance (Health insurance) for you and your family members (i.e. partner).
https://www.gov.uk/family-permit
- Note, as Canadians are a non-visa required nationals you could apply for a family permit upon arrival, however, if you aren't in a rush I'd suggest applying for the free EEA family permit to make your entry as smooth as possible when you cross the UK border - http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... 23840.html

There are more benefits and less costs if you go the EU route however with Brexit depending upon when you plan to come to the UK things may have changed by then so stay up to date with any possible changes in the future.

IrishCdn
Newly Registered

Post by IrishCdn » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:23 pm

Thank you for the information. It seems pretty much like I was thinking... But once you go down the internet rabbit-hole, you can get lost for days!

We'll definitely keep watching the latest developments...