ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

DESPERATE! Help Needed Comprehensive Sickness Insurance

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mandy269
Newly Registered

DESPERATE! Help Needed Comprehensive Sickness Insurance

Post by mandy269 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:26 pm

Hi guys,

We are recently hearing about the changes to be made with respect to EEA-nationals' rights due to Brexit. Personally, I have got a problem with CSI and would like kindly to ask for help. I would like to apply for PR card as in May 2017 I will be officially living in the UK for 5 years. Problems arise when it comes to CSI...
My situation is as follows:
From May 2012- September 2015 - worked permanently in numerous organizations including NHS, paid NI, tax.
September 2015 - June 2018 - full-time student at one of Welsh Universities
January 2016 - to current - working part-time for NHS while studying, I am paying NI when salary allows a deduction. I do work once a week usually and during the summer, Christmas or Easter generally I do overtime, so NI is deducted.
I did not realize that I had to purchase CSI for the period of studying at the University, however:
I am eligible for EHIC card - from EEA member state - Poland, this card has been issued to me in June 2016, but I also possess a statement which states that I am/was fully covered for the duration of the study.
Moreover, my partner has included me in his private insurance but it applies from October 2016 onwards.

Now I am struggling whether it is worth applying for PR as my situation seems difficult. What would happen if they refuse my PR application in May/June/July 2017 (depends on how long it will take them to review it)? Would it mean that I will be not able to finish off my degree (I am on my second year now)?
I was wondering if it was possible to pay voluntary NI to cover the period after Sep 2015, any recommendations?
Furthermore, if the application was refused, would it mean that the period prior to starting my degree cannot count towards my residence? What if I bought CSI now and wait another year to submit my application? What I mean by that is: I have three years of employment (see above) + CSI bought on 1st March 2017 until June 2018 + the rest would be presumably full-time employment after graduation, with NI paid?

I forgot to mention that my sister has been living in the UK for -/+ 10 years and she paid all contributions, have not yet applied for PR nor Citizenship, but if she does apply for PR anytime soon, will it be of any help?

I am desperate to hear any news/advice/recommendations

Grateful for your help,

Eweline

LillyPearl
Newly Registered

Re: DESPERATE! Help Needed Comprehensive Sickness Insurance

Post by LillyPearl » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:28 am

If they refuse your application you will have lost £65. :)

Since you have an EHIC you do not need CSI, so don't rush to buy CSI, check your EHIC first. I think EHICs from Poland don't always have an expiry date, in which case you are covered forever. It also means that you are covered from June 16 onwards and you don't need to resort to your partner's insurance or buy CSI until your EHIC expires.

So the period that you should be concerned about is Sept 15- May 16 and more specifically, two periods: A= Sept 15- Dec 15 and B= Jan 16- May 16.

I suspect that there is not much you can do about period A and that it has reset your residency clock, but I cannot be certain that there is no remedy.
For period B you might be able to make it count, but I will leave the advice to others
In the meantime some questions that might help with the answer: For the period Jan 16- May 16, did you have an employment contract? Did you make per week at least as much as you would make if you were on unemployment benefit? Were you living with your partner and was he supporting you for your other expenses? Is your partner UK or EEA or rest of the world? If EEA, does he have PR?

In any case, good luck!

mandy269
Newly Registered

Post by mandy269 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:48 pm

LillyPearl wrote:If they refuse your application you will have lost £65. :)

Since you have an EHIC you do not need CSI, so don't rush to buy CSI, check your EHIC first. I think EHICs from Poland don't always have an expiry date, in which case you are covered forever. It also means that you are covered from June 16 onwards and you don't need to resort to your partner's insurance or buy CSI until your EHIC expires.
There is an expiry date and hence I have to renew it every 6 months, and I do so. The problem is that, EHIC can be accepted but an individual has to sign 'statement of intent' declaring that they do not wish to stay in the UK after finishing a degree. What would it mean?
My partner has this AVIVA insurance, but I am not sure how 'comprehensive' it is. I am sure that HO will make a fuss about it, if something is not covered in the package :(
LillyPearl wrote:For the period Jan 16- May 16, did you have an employment contract? Did you make per week at least as much as you would make if you were on unemployment benefit? Were you living with your partner and was he supporting you for your other expenses? Is your partner UK or EEA or rest of the world? If EEA, does he have PR?
I was employed as a 'bank employee' what means that I had the O hr contract for the period B, my part-time contract had started in August 2016. As far as I am concerned unemployment benefit amounts to £57 per week, so YES, my earnings would exceed that. He has been supporting me with all expenses but how can I prove that? He is Polish too, came to the UK November 2012, so he still has 8 months left until he qualifies for PR. He has been employed and paid NI throughout this 5 year period. How would it help me? Any suggestions?
Thank you so much for your help :)

mandy269
Newly Registered

Post by mandy269 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:03 pm

Can anyone else help? :( :shock: