ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Leaving the TIER 2 employer after ILR

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kedarmohapatra
Newly Registered

Leaving the TIER 2 employer after ILR

Post by kedarmohapatra » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:10 pm

Hi,

Is there any rule that needs me to stay with my tier 2 sponsor for a few months after I have got my ILR.
My sponsor wants me to stay for a couple of months but I want to leave as soon as I can.
I was just wondering if there would be any consequences?

Thanks,
Kedar

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Leaving the TIER 2 employer after ILR

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:13 pm

kedarmohapatra wrote:Hi,

Is there any rule that needs me to stay with my tier 2 sponsor for a few months after I have got my ILR. No, but you will still need to give notice and work your notice in line with your contract of employment.
My sponsor wants me to stay for a couple of months but I want to leave as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Kedar
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kedarmohapatra
Newly Registered

Post by kedarmohapatra » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:32 pm

Thanks a lot. That clears my doubts.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:59 pm

Like CR001 said, there's no rule saying that you must stay with your sponsor for certain period of time after ILR. You must still give and serve your notice period based on your contract. And from a personal point of view, I'd advise you not burn bridge with your employer. It's a small world, you'll never know where you'll meet again. They have sponsored you up to your ILR stage and the best you can do is to make sure you leave on a good note.
I know that many people are waiting to get their ILR and then enjoy the freedom of changing jobs easily but quiting your job as soon as you got your ILR will make your employer feel that you used them to get ILR and dumped them and that might affect other people that might require sponsorship from the company in the future.
So drop your resignation letter, serve your notice period and if the company needs you to help them for a couple of months so they can get a replacement, make sure you negotiate with them depending on whether you already got an offer elsewhere or but you are just tired of your current job.
Make sure you leave on a good note.

PS: Again this is just a personal opinion

kedarmohapatra wrote:Hi,

Is there any rule that needs me to stay with my tier 2 sponsor for a few months after I have got my ILR.

Thanks,
Kedar
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.